first basic home trade station questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wiridil, Aug 13, 2010.

1. 1. Looks like you can order the card 8400 GS DMS 512MB PCI-e 2.0 (SKU VCG84DMS5SXPB) directly from PNY. But they charge $59.99 (probably the list price) for each. This is the one I am using and I know it works in Windows 7.

http://www3.pny.com/8400-GS-DMS-512MB-PCI-e-20-P2875C269.aspx

2. The one you showed is made by ASUS. $32.99 is a great deal. It is also passive cooling. 1 DVI-I and 1 VGA output. I don't have any experience using ASUS products. If it works, that's great. (Is there any return policy from NewEgg - in the event that it doesn't work?)

They are two different cards made by two different companies. But looks like they use the same graphic chip from NVidia (8400 GS).

#31     Sep 10, 2010
  2. Amazon has it for $40.

#32     Sep 10, 2010
  3. Wiridil,
    Hard drives are VERY cheap... I would strongly consider running RAID1 on two hard drives vs. getting only one.

Also, as for video cards, the NVIDIA NVS290 is a great card and they are cheap on ebay:
    http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=nv...+nvs280&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Make sure you get the cables - but if you get into a bind LFH-59 to DVI or VGA aren't that expensive.

Another suggestion - if this is going to be your home/primary computer I would consider assembling it yourself. Its really not that hard - screw motherboard to the case, install parts, open DVD drive, power on and W7 takes care of the rest. If you can build your own computer you'll never have an issue you won't be able to handle/fix again. If not, you'll be calling Geek Squad (or the guy who built your PC) every time you have an issue.

#33     Sep 10, 2010
  4. #34     Sep 10, 2010
  5. #36     Sep 10, 2010
  6. wiridil

wiridil

Ok guys I'm just about ready to buy some stuff.

I've decided on this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129065

Gonna do windows 7 64 bit os

Gonna go with I7 by Intel processor and 6gb of ram.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a motherboard? I really want to have at least 3 slots for dual head video cards even though Im only gonna use 2 to start.

How much should I being looking to spend on such a motherboard?

Thanks again, this site has been amazing in terms of helping me make these decisions.

#37     Sep 25, 2010
  7. So, going to BIY?

Search Newegg's X58 motherboards and choose one with 3 or 4 PCIEx16 slots. Should be about $150-$250.

Probably $100-$200 cheaper to have CyberpowerPC build it for you, however.

#38     Sep 25, 2010
  8. wiridil

wiridil

either BIY or there is a local guy I have been referred to who has built several computers for guys in my motorcycle club who does it for free because he enjoys the hobby.

#39     Sep 25, 2010
  9. If you want a reliable computer, upgrade your heat sinks and fans. Besides using quality parts (motherboard, CPU, etc.), system cooling is the best investment you will ever make.

I get my trading computers built by Puget Sytems with lots of cooling upgrades. I get a new one every three years and move my primary computer to the backup position. My ten year-old daughter uses the first computer I bought from Puget 9 years ago. It's never been down a day, nor have any of my other computers I've bought from Puget. I think it has a lot to do with keeping the systems very cool.

#40     Sep 25, 2010