Firms with Trading Models

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by dotslashfuture, Jul 19, 2002.

1. I have heard talk of some firms having a "trading model" and I'm not talking about hot babes in the office. Some firms seem to take a direct interest in how their traders trade. Anybody know about that? Specifically i'm curious about worldco since I just found out that they have an office about 10 minutes away.

2. If there is a Worldco model, no one ever let me in on it. Many traders, many styles. Some trade off of big bids stepping up in price / offers stepping down. Some fade gaps. Some just rake it in and I have no clue how. They give you First Alert, though, so if you have an idea, you can make your own filters.

I would not get your hopes up about being given a very specific proprietary model / system by any prop firm. fwiw imho

3. gotcha. I am not really a novice so I already have some ideas of my own. Do they discourage you from swing trading? What about options trading ?

4. No overnights, no options or futures. If you either made several thousand or came in with a large cash deposit, they would probably negotiate on the overnights.

5. Schonfeld has the closest thing to a model besides Don's opening gimmick that I know of.

6. We have groups of traders who are "backed" by individuals who teach their method only so they can cover more of the market. These things work, when a trader or two backs a dozen guys, shows them what they want done, monitor each other's trades and all the rest.

To attempt something like this on a larger scale would prove counter-productive, since you cannot watch enough people while still trading (no one is going to give up their "edge" to someone else).

Don

7. Thanks Thug. Did you have to put up a cash deposit ?