firm takes risk deposit legal or not ?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by jetmacrotrader, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Reuters March 26, 2009: US Treasury Secretary Geithner opens Bright account. Now has access to 40:1 intraday leverage and low desk fees.

;)

#11     Mar 26, 2009
  2. really. so, each of your trader's accounts are segregated and are SPIC insured?

#12     Mar 26, 2009
  3. Not needed or used for reg t or Net capital requirements. SIPC is retail, and rather limited. We place a minimum of $10million cash from our side of the LLC directly with the traders side, to offer much more protection.

Feel free to PM or call to discuss at any point. 702.739.1393.

Don

#13     Mar 26, 2009
  4. How do you avoid the self-employment tax when trading with a prop firm?

thanks,

Walt

#14     Mar 26, 2009
  5. I can't speak for all firms of course, but we made the IRS election with our LLC arrangement to have "Distribution of Partnership Income" as exempt. This can basically save $15K or so on a $100K income per year.

Don

#15     Mar 26, 2009
  6. In Canada, you would get an "inc."

#16     Mar 26, 2009
  7. i see. so, if i have 500k in my "acct" at bright, and someone blows that 10M out. my money is 100% segragated from that blowout and 100% safe rgt? what if it were a 20M blowout? what happens when the blowout is more than the money in the LLC acct? i'm not really seeing how this type of acct would be at all similar to an acct like IB or Schwab. were you just saying that they were similar because you can put money in and take money out?

#17     Mar 26, 2009
  8. karth

karth

Forgive my ignorance, i am a newbie here, isnt this very similar to a Ponzi scheme ? As long as the market holds, your deposit would be safe,in am ideal market .. someone has to loose money. Image you trading with 25K and you blow , you suffer the consecuence by taking the loss yourself. Now expand this by 20X leverage as most prop firms offer, wouldnt that do more damage ?

This looks like a house of cards ready to collapse, i wont be suprised if we hear about one or two prop firms coming down in this market.

#18     Mar 26, 2009
  9. It does not really goes that way.
    1- Most traders dont use all their, ammo.
    2- In prop trading I think most traders dont do overnight so they get liquidated when they blow it.
    3- We did not hear of any blowout here in the last year so I think things are under control.

#19     Mar 26, 2009
  10. Exactly. A trader should not be allowed to blow out any more than he deposited for trading purposes. If the firm has any type of decent risk control at all, there is no way a couple traders would blow the entire firm up, they would simply get shutdown by the system and their positions would be liquidated.

#20     Mar 27, 2009