Firing Back at Trump in the Trade War with Tariffs Aimed at His Base

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Sprout, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Sig

Sig

And that's a populist position, not a conservative one. Hey, 100% tariffs by every country against every other country is FAIR. And anyone with an iota of economics background, especially conservative economics background, understands that such a FAIR situation is disastrous to the U.S. economy. I'm going to do something unprecedented here and quote maxpi from this very thread "It's just business, get over it..." and in business you do what's best for your economy. Insisting on FAIR as an end unto itself doesn't accomplish that. In fact, come to think of it there is a line of thought where FAIR is held above all else, it's called communism. You know it's not really fair that some people get several hundred million dollars just because by random chance they were born to the right daddy....what do you think we should do about that given this idea that FAIR is so important?

Also a hint, any time you start using euphemisms you're admitting that even you yourself are uncomfortable with what you're saying.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    #41     Oct 5, 2018
    d08 likes this.
  2. Cuddles

Cuddles

Incredible how these lemmings did a 180 on tariffs and don't realize the leftist position they've taken by the lack of pushback from liberals on these measures

#42     Oct 5, 2018
  3. Sig

Sig

I think the most frustrating thing for me is this idiotic viewpoint the populists have taken where "if it pisses the liberals off it must be good" (usually stated less articulately and with a few juvenile insults thrown in). Besides being utterly moronic it ironically means they're allowing their positions on issues to be determined by those they hate and deride.

#43     Oct 5, 2018
    d08, Cuddles and Sprout like this.
  4. Sprout

Sprout

This article provided insight for me in the phenomenon you describe.

“Their names have mostly been lost to time. But these grinning men were someone’s brother, son, husband, father. They were human beings, people who took immense pleasure in the utter cruelty of torturing others to death—and were so proud of doing so that they posed for photographs with their handiwork, jostling to ensure they caught the eye of the lens, so that the world would know they’d been there. Their cruelty made them feel good, it made them feel proud, it made them feel happy. And it made them feel closer to one another.

The Trump era is such a whirlwind of cruelty that it can be hard to keep track. This week alone, the news broke that the Trump administration was seeking to ethnically cleanse more than 193,000 American children of immigrants whose temporary protected status had been revoked by the administration, that the Department of Homeland Security had lied about creating a database of children that would make it possible to unite them with the families the Trump administration had arbitrarily destroyed, that the White House was considering a blanket ban on visas for Chinese students, and that it would deny visas to the same-sex partners of foreign officials. At a rally in Mississippi, a crowd of Trump supporters cheered as the president mocked Christine Blasey Ford, the psychology professor who has said that Brett Kavanaugh, whom Trump has nominated to a lifetime appointment on the Supreme Court, attempted to rape her when she was a teenager. “Lock her up!” they shouted.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/the-cruelty-is-the-point/572104/

#44     Oct 5, 2018
  5. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

#45     Oct 5, 2018
    ElectricSavant likes this.
  6. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

#46     Oct 5, 2018
    ElectricSavant likes this.
  7. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

FACTS? Politico LOL so left they fell over!

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blog...inds-fact-checkers-biased-against-republicans

Elite Trader? LOL how idiotic trying to use anything on a trading forum as facts in a political argument.

So tell us all proudly what college do you own your brainwashing to?

#47     Oct 5, 2018
  8. Sprout

Sprout

Mark, I would amend what you say by:

_______ create their own opinions based on value bias to collect evidence derived from selected facts to support their agenda. This is a quality not exclusive nor absent from any human being - right, left, center or fringe.

The main difference is the degree of empathy that exists outside one's viewpoint.

I appreciate the allsides.com website, and will look deeper at it, thanks.

However Faux News, imho, promotes the format of antagonism not civic discourse. The fascade creates a false equivalency and the hosts frequently use guests as fodder to promote and escalate emotions and at it's core inflammatory in it's mission.

One of the things that attracts me to trading is the necessity of developing and cultivating a neutral mindset. This non-attachment to previous ideas is what keeps one from fossilizing.

The subject of abortions is certainly a topic for another thread. I don't personally agree with it, however I do believe in individual sovereignty and support the notion of free will.

#48     Oct 5, 2018
  9. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

Let's call this battle what it is "Good against Evil" normal people with family values are Good, people who want pedophilia, abortions, my guns, free stuff at my expense are Evil.

You can be one or the other but not both you are either Good or Evil.

#49     Oct 5, 2018
  10. Sprout

Sprout

You can go first.

I wash my brain a lot. Just like arteries, it gets gunked up with plaque, fossilizes from outdated beliefs and generally requires periodic detoxing to stay healthy, flexible, adaptable and agile.

ymmv and clearly does by your languaging.

There's one thing I know about you. You like jets!

I on the other hand like to spend time more slowly by being in the forest, barefoot on the moss, with the breeze, sunlight and rain on my skin. One's power of observation increases substantially when open to multi-sensorial direct experiences.

#50     Oct 5, 2018