Firing Back at Trump in the Trade War with Tariffs Aimed at His Base

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Sprout, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Humpy

Humpy

Getting back to the OP's topic for a moment - the trade war.
    What have the makers of the trade agreements said in their defence ? Is it just Trump's view that the agreements are all unequal ?
    It is such a huge and complex subject that I haven't the time to even try and understand who is telling the truth and who is lying.

#91     Oct 8, 2018
    Sprout likes this.
  2. Sig

Sig

Anyone with even a cursory familiarity with macro understands that the United States is unquestionably better off with a trade agreement with Canada (or anyone else), even if our subsidized dairy farmers can't sell milk and it's so unfair, then if we have a completely "fair" situation with 100% tariffs on both sides. They understand the nuances and intricacies of international relations, as opposed to the black and white, "winners and losers" worldview of the Trump tribe. Some of us even do business in Canada and experienced first hand lost business opportunities while Trump engaged in his "whose got a bigger dick" contest that in the end destroyed probably billions in value in lost opportunities during that period while creating a few million in value. No need to dig into the minutia of the trade agreement to grasp that. Although since I do run businesses on both sides of the border I have spent many hours doing exactly that reading the new agreement, which aside from the couple of well publicized changes is exactly the same for 99% of what matters.

#92     Oct 8, 2018
    Humpy and Sprout like this.
  3. Cuddles

Cuddles

This is it, they call it NAFTA repeal while not repealing shit and only amending a few things. All the while losing months and billion and pissing people off. If the SEC hadn't been tainted by presidential appointments, they would probably be looking at all the insider trading going on in the WH and Congress.

Also, watch as the place of origin and wage provisions get dropped in Congress

#93     Oct 8, 2018
  4. From what i read on the new agreement it seems to favor labor(oddly). It mandates a min wage by 2023 of $16. increases the percentage of parts a car sold in the us must be manufactured in US/M/C. cant forget the diary farmers. It sounds good but we will see how that cost will be spread. Someone made a good point about the pork exports to china once they get a new supplier(the quality cant get any worse than how animals are housed in the US can it?) it will be difficult to get them to switch contracts will be in place i would image for a min of a few years to supply.

#94     Oct 8, 2018
    SunTrader likes this.
  5. SunTrader

SunTrader

Either has Drumpf - but no worry he has the world's greatest adviser at his disposal, himself.

#95     Oct 9, 2018
  6. SunTrader

SunTrader

Yup and why should they. So Drumpf can pull more chit a year later?

#96     Oct 9, 2018
  7. sle

sle

I received the same honor. Kinda refreshing :)

#97     Oct 9, 2018
    Sprout and Humpy like this.
  8. Humpy

Humpy

The Mid Terms are going to be really interesting.
    I doubt Dump will resign even if he loses hugely !
    Not an honourable man or even sensible.
    I was listening to a radio program last night about a science expedition to the North Pole by ice-breaker ship. The ice thickness is half of what it was 10 years ago. They estimate it will be all gone in a few years ( for the summer season ).

#98     Oct 11, 2018
  9. SunTrader

SunTrader

And if the ice is still there in 10 years time will the Scientist resign?

Hopefully the ice is still there but Drumpf is gone a lot sooner.

#99     Oct 11, 2018
  10. SunTrader

SunTrader

#100     Oct 25, 2018