Firewall

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by maggandre, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Can anyone recommend a good Firewall? I am looking for the best product for the lowest price, of course!

Thanks in advance.

2. nitro

nitro

3. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

4. nitro

nitro

5. nitro

nitro

I strongly urge people to stay away from software firewalls. Rule #1 in firewalls, you are only as safe as the operating system you are runnnig the firewall on. Windows SUCKS BIG in the security department.

Either get a software fireall RUNNING on OpenBSD, or just save yourself a lot of headaches and get a harware based one.

nitro

6. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

Some routers have a built-in "hardware firewall". You should have two firewalls, one software and one hardware. I'm not a techie, but I have been burned a couple of times.

7. sixsigma

sixsigma

I have XP Pro + LinkSys DSL Router (BEFSR41) (hardware firewall) + Sysgate Personal Firewall (software firewall free).

So far so good.

8. Nitro,

Many of the Linksys products act as a NAT and include a Stateful Packet Inspection Firewall built-in. What else is needed?

BTW, I'm not being sarcastic. I really don't know the answer, but want to know so I can be as protected as possible.

9. nitro

nitro

IF they provide SPI, then they are an honest to goodness firewall. NAT IS NOT A FIREWALL. I have had this discussions on this board about five times now.

AFAIK, when I clicked on the link for the linksys given above, ALL it gave were the specs of a ROUTER.

nitro

#10     Jun 22, 2003