Firewall that doesn't increase latency

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by mastertrader456, Jun 8, 2012.

1. I have a distributor in my area that sells the RB450G for only $99.
    Seems like an awful lot of bang for the buck!
    Just hope I can set it up easy.

:)

#21     Jun 10, 2012
  2. To update I was referring to software firewalls. My first mistake. I trade remote and havent had to deal with this issue until now. I have previously traded on location and the IT infrastructure was in place.

From my understanding now I need a hardware firewall/router. For sub $500 what is my best option.

My trading rig is not the issue. i73930k, 8gb ram, 256 SSD, Killer2100 network card built into motherboard, fiber optic broadband, etc.

I just need security with out latency.

#22     Jun 11, 2012
  3. None. Nada. Nihil. Zero.

Windows has a decent firewall integrated. At least CURRENT versions have a quite decent. Wont protect you from your own stupidity, but stops other people from reaching you. I keep it around on all machines. And no, it does NOT delay things 1 second.

#23     Jun 11, 2012
  4. bone

bone

Trading Technologies generally makes you disable Windows 7 User Account Controls, the Base Filtering Engine, and any anti-virus or firewall applications.

It does worry me about security, but so far nothing bad has happened over the years.

I have a workstation dedicated for trade execution and nothing else, running X Trader Pro.

#24     Jun 11, 2012
  5. Actually, the Intel EXPI9301CT networking PCIe card is the one that is most appropriate for my needs. It uses the Intel 82574L chip.
    This chip is from 2008. $29.99 OEM on New Egg. The PRO version of this networking card (EXPI9400PT) uses the older 2005 chip (82572) and costs about $60 more. The only difference that I've found being that it supports an Intel feature called Intelligent Offloads.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106033

#25     Jun 13, 2012