Firefox vs. Chrome

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by DataCruncher, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Please share your experiences in regards to:

1) which is safer for browsing (preventing websites from downloading questionable stuff onto your computer)

2) speed, particularly when you have 50+ tabs open

2. denton

denton

You'd trust a Google product?
    Stick with Firefox.

Den

3. 50 tabs? shizzem that is a lot

why 50?

I'll stick with Firefox for now, I consider it safer, speed with 50 tabs? Never tried it.

4. A benefit that Chrome may provide in this circumstance is that it allows the user to close down a frozen tab independently of the others, while Firefox would close down the whole application.

I just imagine with 50 tabs open this could be a regular occurrence.

5. I'd also be interested in knowing what kind of browsing requires 50 open tabs

6. One thing that I hate about chrome is that you can't select cut, paste and copy from a drop down menu. This makes extracting info for the web difficult.

7. Kinda like trading, less than 5% use Opera :cool:

8. I use both, depending on what I'm doing.

Chrome *is* a faster browser and has a convenient "incognito" mode (i.e. no browsing or form history, no cache) for higher security.

Firefox is my main browser. One main drawback of Chrome is no add-on support. But heck it's only beta, right? There are many, many useful add-ons for Firefox. The one I basically can't live without is AdBlock. If you use Firefox with AdBlock and then try to use Chrome on your usual web sites, the ads will drive you crazy.

But that's only one add-on. There are tons of others and many are quite useful.

Chrome will eventually have add-on support. I'll bet that AdBlock will be one of the first add-ons on Chrome. :cool:

9. Chrome has sandboxing technology. Firefox is a more mature product. I don't visit dodgy sites with either, especially because there are attack vectors that are independent of the browsers. A few months ago, some advertiser on huffingtonpost, which I didn't consider a dodgy site, was sending images with malware in them (the Microsoft GDI bug from a few years ago), according to my antivirus.

Safest? Use a separate computer for recreational web browsing. Next safest: get vmware or other virtualization software and run your browser inside a virtual machine.

10. I like firefox, but will use IE on a bank site if they don't accept firefox.

Firefox just seems easier to work with than IE, less hassles.

#10     Feb 14, 2009