Firefox to IE 7 bookmarks

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by just21, Feb 1, 2006.

1. lol

firefox is a 5mb download... tell me how large IE7 is.

firebird (firefox's previous name) used to be twice the size. i was surprised they were able to cut it in half. literally.

#11     Feb 1, 2006
  2. don't know much about pc's? the download has nothing to do with a program being a resource hog.

there's a list of tweaks to improve performace of firefox but i haven't bothered to try them yet. i might just try ie 7 instead

imo firefox needs to be bought by a company that can hire decent programmers (ie google)

#12     Feb 1, 2006
  3. gbos

gbos

Opera is my favorite one

http://www.opera.com/

It has all of firefox features and I think it is a lot faster. The last versions are freeware also. (3.7 MB download)

#13     Feb 2, 2006
  4. Surely you jest.

I need to run 20+ browser windows at all times, 24/6, for a forex trading / charting platform. In extensive comparisons between the 3 major browsers, on the same PC, FF was the winner for consistently smallest % CPU usage.

#14     Feb 2, 2006
  5. just21

just21

Why don't you run 20 tabs?

#15     Feb 2, 2006
  6. The platform (Java-based) doesn't let you do that.

#16     Feb 2, 2006
  7. gbos

gbos

8. Although i cant give you a spreadsheet (yet) - I have recently been asked to do this - that shows the relative performance and compatibility of the various browsers on different platforms, my quick and dirty tests appear to show that FireFox/Mozilla is faster and leaner in most cases (and it runs on multiple OS's) . In nearly all of my tests the Firefox/Mozilla suite were very close to IE in standards compatibility (they both have their glitches here).

Why would anyone want to upgrade to IE7 if the freeware Firefox/Mozilla versions offer good or better performance and multiple platform compatibility ?

I have not been asked to do a comprehensive browser compatibility and performance test for about 4 years so the results should be very interesting .....

#18     Feb 2, 2006
  9. Muun

Muun