Firefox problems

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Pekelo, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Seriously, unless you guys are pathologically opposed to anything that invokes Microsoft you should try Avant Browser. Flash, java, activex, videos etc can all be ticked on or off as you wish. You will be surprised at how good a browser can be built on top of the IE engine.

#11     Oct 3, 2006
  2. Hmm.. I've never had any problem with this.
    I use them all the time.
    Noscript, adblock and flashblock are fantastic together.
    And it only takes a click of the mouse to dis-engage for either of them when desired.

#12     Oct 3, 2006
  3. This used to happen to me in Firefox, my default browser. Not that often, but just often enough to be annoying, what with the multiple tab collections open:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=928258#post928258

Apparently, the problem comes up when the web page you're visiting has certain embedded multimedia features, which your browser has trouble with. In that case, the likely culprit was my Apple iTunes / Quicktime setup. (Notorious for messing up an otherwise perfectly good PC, heh.) Note that embedded QT file on 12-11-05, a few posts back. Do you get the same problem viewing that particular thread page? If yes, read on. If not, could be one of your other plugins, e.g., Macromedia Flash.

I ended up uninstalling iTunes / QT completely and switching to QuickTime Alternative codec / plugin freeware. Compact, non-invasive and stable. As a bonus, I can play any QuickTime content in Windows Media Player 10 (no need for Classic). You can get it, say, here, by itself or as part of several codec packs. After doing that, haven't had that FF self-closing problem again in a long time.

#13     Oct 3, 2006
  4. It seems that the claimed vulnerability in Firefox may well be far less serious than originally claimed. The worst outcome anybody has been able to produce appears to be a browser crash rather than execution of malicious code. Perhaps there has been an element of hoax here ?

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2023762,00.asp

#14     Oct 3, 2006
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

#15     Oct 4, 2006
  6. Yes, I'm pathologically opposed to anything that involves Microsoft. The reason is that they could easily provide a browser as good as you claim that Avant is, but they just refuse to do it. Why? Because they don't care about good products. I hate that mentality and I think they give a bad example the pervades all of US corporate culture. You will never find a good product coming from companies like that, and yet they are the most powerful in the world. Thats bad. And thats why.

Ursa..

#16     Oct 4, 2006