Firefox problems

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Pekelo, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

2. hcour

hcour Guest

Thanks for the link.

Can someone who understands this stuff tell us what it means? Does this mean Firefox is vunerable to viruses or what exactly?

Thanks,
    H

3. gnome

gnome

I formerly used Opera and liked it, but it's Firefox for me now. Its Adblock/Flashblock, Scrapbook, and Bookmarks Toolbar are critical elements to my internet experience.

4. H,

Yes, it does. However, this debate will rage without resolution because there's a deep belief issue at stake here.

Is it a huge risk? Probably not for most of us who browse conservatively. I have firefox as my backup browser but use Avant which is a frontend for the IE engine as my primary. It has a similar set of features that gnome mentioned for FF but is also faster :)

5. I'll bet it's not the only Javascript implementation with a vulnerability. If using Firefox you can use the noscript extension that blocks Javascript unless you specifically allow it on a per website basis. Not only is it more secure, it also blocks a lot of junk that you probably don't want to see anyway.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/722/

6. gnome

gnome

Unfortunately, Flashblock won't work at the same time as Noscript... :(

7. Pekelo

Pekelo

I had this issue with both: I am visiting a webpage and suddenly the whole browser shots down. WTF?? Is that some kind of security deffense? It happens with Firefox more often...

8. I have been using Firefox exclusively for years, and never had it suddenly shut down. What websites are you visiting?

9. Pekelo

Pekelo

Various. This morning it was a news website. Nothing serious ones where hackers would lurk...

10. Bizarre. I don't use anything but Firefox, and that has not happened to me once. And I do a lot of surfing.

#10     Oct 3, 2006