Firefox Image Burned Into My LCD Monitor!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hcour, Jul 19, 2006.

1. BCE

BCE

Sorry you've had such a bad time with it, man. Thanks for sharing what's up though so the rest of us will be careful and pay attention to this problem. I had no idea. Good luck dealing with this going forward.

#11     Jul 21, 2006
  2. jho

jho

Yeah sorry to hear that, that's not fun at all. I would try to get my money back. Maybe you should pick up something like a Samsung panel, they are good quality LCD's.

#12     Jul 21, 2006
  3. Bob111

Bob111

looks like screensavers are build in OS for reason. why not to use them?
    software such as firefox have nothing to do with it,it's pure monitor issue.

#13     Jul 21, 2006
  4. Your lcd monitor does not burn in. I know it appears that way to you but if you stop panicking and just leave it alone the old icons etc that you think are burned in will fade over a few days. If you have white, black, or grey backgrounds this is much more apparent. Try using the regular windows background and you probably wont notice this going forward.

#14     Jul 21, 2006
  5. hcour

hcour Guest

Ok, wait a minute. After almost a year of running the monitor w/no issues at all, you're telling me it's ok for ghost images to suddenly appear and persist for several days? Could you elaborate please?

Anyone else have opinions on this issue? C'mon, guys, traders have LCD monitors coming out the ying-yang. What you think? Is this normal?

Thanks,
    Harold

#15     Jul 21, 2006
  6. jho

jho

No I don't think it's normal. I've never had it happen to me...although my monitors aren't on for more than 7 hours at a time, I also shut them off if im not going to use them for a little bit.

Who makes the GEM panel? Do they themselves? (My Dell is actually a Samsung panel) I'm not familiar with GEM brand, are they cheap?

#16     Jul 21, 2006
  7. hcour

hcour Guest

It's made by 3G Technology, Inc. It cost $300, then I got a $100 rebate. So it was reasonably priced.

H

#17     Jul 21, 2006
  8. throw the darn thing in the garbage so we don't have to hear about it any more.....go to best buy and buy the darn 19" westinghouse for $119. :D

JK :D

#18     Jul 21, 2006
  9. hcour

hcour Guest

"Hear about it"? You got your text-to-speech program up? Auditory hallucinations? Voices in your head? Might wanna see your doctor, son.

Now, if you don't wanna "read about it" anymore, just don't click on the thread there, brainiac. (What're you, new to the internet? Not sure how it works?)

And Best Buy has no 19" LCD monitors at that price.

Ah, Elite Trader, where members w/absolutely nothing to say will say it anyway.

H

#19     Jul 22, 2006
  10. gnome

gnome

Stumbled upon an explanation of the burn-in.... apparently due to monitors which use "overdrive" to speed-up response.

The overdrive function apparently "sets"? the pixels with enough energy that they are sometimes more difficult to "reset" for future images.

Perhaps we should be avoiding monitors which mention "overdrive" ??

#20     Jul 22, 2006