Firefox 9 - 100% CPU consumption

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by syswizard, Jan 21, 2012.

1. #11     Jan 21, 2012
  2. most of our problems are of our on doing.
    we keep adding on layers till
    the whole thing collapses

trading rigs...KISS

#12     Jan 21, 2012
  3. d08

d08

Happened to me before, it could be various things but as suggested try disabling the extensions.

#13     Jan 21, 2012
  4. Well. I remove the tab that was using the CBOE quote and chart feature.....and suddenly, the CPU stopped spiking to 100% and remaining there for several seconds. Now it only stays there for < 1 second. Great....
    I am suspecting the FLASH or SHOCKWAVE addon. I attempted to upgrade them and it failed....a telltale sign IMHO.
    Something appears to be wrong with my whole FF installation.
    Time to save history (if I can !!), save the bookmarks, and remove FF and reinstall it.
    It is hosed beyond repair.

#14     Jan 21, 2012
  5. You can try Xmarks add on first to save bookmarks and stuff. Then reinstall xmarks on the new ff version .

http://www.xmarks.com/

#15     Jan 21, 2012
  6. Nope, that's NOT what I needed. Native FF enables bookmarks to be exported, it does not permit history to be exported.
    This is what I need:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/form-history-control/?src=search
    Now I'm good (FINALLY !!).
    Wow, Open source software can really, really be frustrating.
    Sometimes paying a license is much better in the long run.

#16     Jan 21, 2012
  7. +eleventybillion

I don't get why you guys run all that shit on your machines.

Clean install of W7x64 + all windows updates + microsoft security essentials (which is at least as good as any paid AV on the market) and you are good to go.

Don't go to websites you shouldn't. Don't click on links you shouldn't. If you get an email from Prince Fayad saying you are the next heir to his throne and you've inherited $500M - and you click the links - you are probably dumb enough that deserve to get a virus.

I've never had these issues or the need for pop up blockers, ad-blockers, etc.

I just don't get it. Maybe I'm not adventurous enough on the internet.... Then again I also had to make a thread a few weeks ago begging for someone to give me a virus. I know my way around Redtube as well - you guys must be pretty paranoid to feel the need to have all this crap installed.

#17     Jan 21, 2012
  8. You don't appear to get it winston.

Adblock plus, etc are not about security, they are about tailoring your web experience to suit yourself. For example, adblock+ takes out all the adverts then I use adblock+ element hiding helper to remove elements of pages I frequently visit that I don't need/want to see. So elitetrader and igoogle are heavily edited (automatically once you save your filters) to just show what I need.

It keeps what I see repeatedly as KISS as possible. Why put up with someone elses adverts and eye candy when you don't need to?

Zip to do with security. Personally on that front, I run my w7x64 with comodo for firewall and antivirus in preference to the microsoft stuff for more control and flexibility. Still Kiss but with a different vendor.

*** attached is the kiss version of EliteTrader as viewed with SWIron (chrome) and adblocking technology.

• et.png
      File size:
      56.8 KB
      Views:
    #18     Jan 21, 2012
  9. ding. ding. ding. this is why i could never be in tech support b/c i would always say to someone "this sounds like a PICNIC prob (prob in chair not in computer) so hang up and deal w/ it yourself".

#19     Jan 22, 2012
  10. Kiwi I think this is the first time I've taken issue with you on something here on ET. (Not issue but disagree with you)

You are modifying software with 3rd party software (or modifying 3rd party software with 4th party software (adblock+ on Chrome) which is totally unsupported and completely custom.

You need to realize that your want to suppress ads or customize websites based on what you want is not a basic supported feature.

#20     Jan 22, 2012