Firefox 4

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by dhpar, Mar 22, 2011.

1. what about addon performance and compatibility for 4? Have you had problems with your addons so far? It usually takes awhile after a major new version for all the addons to become compatible.

#21     Apr 7, 2011
  2. I have the same problem. How do you turn off direct2 rendering? I marked the option so that pages can choose their own font but still no improvement.

#22     Apr 7, 2011
  3. did you try about:config ? I haven't tried 4 yet but that's how you used to access extra options in 3.6

#23     Apr 7, 2011
  4. zdreg

zdreg

what happened to the feature ability to copy an article or part of an article with thel link?

#24     Apr 7, 2011
  5. Catoosa

Catoosa

To fix the font rendering problem, try disabling hardware acceleration which is turned on by default in Firefox 4: Go to Options > Advanced > General > uncheck the Use hardware acceleration when available checkbox. I had the font rendering problem as well as some other unacceptable issues with Firefox 4 and therefore removed it from my computers. I went back to Firefox 3.6.16 and all is now fine although a tad slower. Firefox 4 is now on my wait and see iffy maybe list.

#25     Apr 7, 2011
  6. I've heard lots complain about font issues in FF4 but I did not have the problem with all acceleration turned on

#26     Apr 7, 2011
  7. montysky

montysky

It's not some sites that have "problems", it's every site, every page. That's how direct2d renders fonts for speed gain. Some people are more sensitive to the sharpness of the fonts than others.

Here's a pic comparing IE8 and FF4 with direct2d enabled and disabled.
    On the left is IE, on the top right is ff4 with direct2d enabled, bottom right is ff4 with direct2d disabled.

Even when direct2d is disabled in ff4, the font rendering is still not at 100%. Notice on the first layer the rendering is fine, but in the pop-up balloon fonts are still not as sharp as in IE.

#27     Apr 7, 2011
  8. montysky

montysky

on the address bar, type in "about:config"

search for "direct2d.disabled"

double-click on it to change the setting to true.

restart FF4.

#28     Apr 7, 2011
  9. Hello Bellman
    Just wondering, have your IE9 been able to download any PDF file ? I have not, since IE8. I thought IE9 might help. But still just a white screen. Acrobat Reader X is fully updated. Both Safari and Firefox can download any PDF file and more. Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit. 8GB 1TB HD.

Nobody else with IE9 .PDF file problems ? Please share.

#29     Apr 7, 2011

10. Thanks,

Mine was already set to true in pale moon. Not sure if I did that or not.

Re montsky's instructions, there was an extra space inserted by the web site in there that might confuse some. It should be:

Code:
    "on the address bar, type in "about:config"

search for "direct2d.disabled"

double-click on it to change the setting to true. 

restart FF4.

WITH NO SPACE between about and :config ... damn it!

#30     Apr 7, 2011