Firefox 3.5.6

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by DataCruncher, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Mozilla is pressuring Firefox users to upgrade to v3.6.

I had been running 3.5.8 and moved to 3.6. It feels snappier and faster. My add-ons which didn't work were a Dictionary one + IE Tab. I can do without the dictionary and replaced IE Tab with "Coral IE Tab".

Also, the Multirow Bookmarks Toolbar blanks out when you try to customize the "Navigation Toolbar", but is restored with a restart of FF.

#31     Mar 13, 2010
  2. Did have some trouble with smart bookmarks bar so I temporarily switched to samfind which is great. Went back now to smartbookmarks and it works fine. I have a large amount of bookmarks used regularly

[​IMG]

#32     Mar 13, 2010
  3. If anybody has any suggestions for extensions that will change entire webpages to color schemes with less eyestrain, I would love to hear about them.

#33     Mar 13, 2010
  4. What kind of eye strain? Not sharply focused? Too bright?

#34     Mar 13, 2010
  5. Very nice add-on. Thanks. Some of the icons are coming up blank, though. I wonder if anything can be done about that. Eventually you would just memorize their names, I guess.

#35     Mar 13, 2010
  6. Yes it would be nice to just have a custom favicon addition when they are white to add your own image. In the attachment you will notice if you place mouse on white icon the information will open and be displayed. I also group the white ones with the icons that have images of the same type or site.
    I think Samfind is actually better I just need time to set it up.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9866

[​IMG]

• icon.jpg
      File size:
      51.8 KB
      Views:
    #36     Mar 13, 2010
  7. Samfind! Even better, thanks again.

#37     Mar 13, 2010
  8. hayman

hayman

V3.6, like it many predecessors, still suffers from memory leak problems, when multiple tabs are open. In many cases, this brings a machine down to its knees, and forces a Firefox reboot.

Lo and behold, I have found a free, viable remedy for this problem, until the Firefox developers get around to fixing it. It is a free add-on, called AFOM. I have installed it, and have monitored memory usage, and by golly, it really does work !

Find this free add-on at:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/11922

#38     Mar 13, 2010
  9. hayman, thanks for pointing that addon out, I love hearing about quality addons. Are there any drawbacks to that particular addon? What is the performance like when you have lots of tabs open? From the reviews it seems to make Firefox stop requesting more memory, I'm wondering how it does this and what the implications are.

#39     Mar 13, 2010
  10. #40     Mar 15, 2010