Firearm Wanted

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by theboxer, Dec 11, 2008.

1. You need to be careful. I have heard mixed information regarding interstate sales of handguns and long guns.

Here is my understanding but you should call a local AG office to confirm.

Interstate, face to face sales must go through FFL in buyers state for handgun and FFL from either state for long gun.

Intra-state:
    Long guns. No FFL needed. You can sell FTF or ship to buyer as long as you have no reason to believe they are a prohibited person from owning.
    Handguns: Must go through FFL or sheriff's office for transfer. Exception: between spouses, between parent and child, between grandparent and grandchild.

#41     Dec 12, 2008
  2. LEAPup

LEAPup

Precisely why I visit NY on business from time to time, but would never live in a City where I cannot protect myself from violent criminals.

The only thing that stands between a criminal and your life when it gets down to it, is your ability to create a good sight picture, and steady squeeze of the trigger.

Glad I live in WV. (Yes, our liberal morning paper here in the Capital City says we're the #1 State for guns purchased, and taken back to other states.) Oh well. At least I can protect my family with anything short of a fully automatic rifle. Ooh rah!!! (For now... Once odumba, pelosi, and the rest of the liberal, Godless morons get their way, we'll be in the same boat as you boxer in NY...Sad times were in!)

#42     Dec 12, 2008
  3. LEAPup

LEAPup

I LOVE Texas!!! And yes, you're not kidding. You can legally shoot anyone stealing on your property!!! Did I say I love Texas?!?!

Its even a misdemeanor crime (on the books in tx still) for a property owner during a natural disaster, who owns a firearm, to NOT use it to defend their neigborhood. God bless Texas!!

#43     Dec 12, 2008
  4. <i>"unlicensed pistol in NYC = mandatory minimum 3 1/2 year prison sentence"</i>

correct... any NYS resident must have a pistol permit to even purchase a handgun from someone else. If the OP bought a handgun from another NYS resident, that person would be committing an equal crime of handgun transfer outside of a permit. Whether the seller had a valid permit or not, it's a crime on them either way.

.357 mag with defender rounds will stop any criminal at close range. Anything bigger is the compromise of more power versus handling the recoil generated. If the OP has no permit, handgun is not an option if being honest with the forum here.

A 20ga shotgun loaded with big shot (T-size) to small buckshot (#5) generates the most lethal pattern at close range. A hit anywhere on a human at close range would stop them in their tracks immediately. A close-range direct hit above the waist would not be survivable, at all. 12ga is just bigger overkill but obviously effective.

If honestly looking for protection, a 20ga youth model 870 pump, short barrel deer model is ideal. Perfect for any man or woman to handle deftly with ease. Safety is always #1, be absolutely sure of your target and know how to handle the gun in any situation. Just having one in a house is false security... guns are merely tools to be neglected or used by their handlers.

#44     Dec 12, 2008
  5. thedewar

thedewar

just get a tazer.... equally fun to use on shitbags.... more fun actually when they start wiggling around... and less "messy" especially when it comes to courts

#45     Dec 12, 2008

6. Good points.

#46     Dec 12, 2008
  7. I feel pretty sure that, while more practice is always a good thing, I can handle myself with a gun.

#47     Dec 12, 2008

8. After everything that I've heard (and everyone, thanks for the info, seriously) I am considering a shotgun. May even be able to buy one from my father. And I certainly have experience hunting with a shotgun, so that's another plus.

#48     Dec 12, 2008

9. Texas: you guys ever decide to secede from the union, I am there.

#49     Dec 12, 2008
  10. Let me just say "thank you" once again for everyone's advice. As a result, I am now leaning more towards getting a shotgun, at least to begin with, at least for now. Some very good points were made regarding the legal ramifications, and practicality, of handguns vs. shotguns. I should add that a good knife is also a handy tool to own.

Again, thank you... everyone stay prepared, vigilant and safe.

Sincerely,
    theboxer

#50     Dec 12, 2008