Fire Walking anyone?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by loza, Jun 21, 2011.

1. loza

loza Guest

...actually not all fire-walks are done at night but that does not matter, the concept is the same, it won't burn you unless you stop walking and freeze, then you are in trouble....
    see some old pictures of Charles Kenn (with ARII-PEU TAMA-ITI a real Kahuna)
    http://www.umuki.com/firewalk-leaders-guide/firewalking-from-the-inside-by-charles-kenn

#11     Jun 21, 2011
  2. loza

loza Guest

Interesting story....
    Usually, the self-help is only temporary. They can hypnotize the crowd (and usually do so) but unless you learn effective self-hypnosis and periodically follow up, it will fade away.
    Much like giving a person a fish or teach him/her how to fish.....

#12     Jun 21, 2011
  3. I think there are 2 opposites to it -- your belief or confidence you can, and your fear that you cannot. But the most inhibiting factor is your mind cycling over those 2 emotions. The key is focus on the task, and quiet the bs discussion in the mind about confidence/fear -- that discussion is a distraction and wastes your energy.
    I use this model a lot, to turn off confidence and fear and just do. It doesn't even have to be fear. When I see dishes in my sink, my mind starts this whole discourse about why I should wash them, I'm tired, or I'd rather do something else, etc etc etc. I catch myself, stop mind from thinking, focus on move hands, and then realize, wow, just doing it without thinking, I'm done before I know it.
    I haven't tried fire walking, but I drive a car sometimes, which is probably more likely to injure than fire walking.

#13     Jun 21, 2011
  4. NoDoji

NoDoji

Yes! About 25 years ago we hosted a fire walk in our back yard led by a guy who had done it many times. There was a two hour meditative preparatory session leading into the actual fire walk. The most interesting thing was several people who had no intention whatsoever of walking on the coals and planned to merely watch the whole event (including me), ended up participating in the walk.

The confidence instilled in me by this event has remained with me throughout my life. I've been able to work my way through many extreme difficulties in my life and definitely give credit to the early fire walking experience.

#14     Jun 21, 2011
  5. Having invested a lot of time in NLP and hypnosis it works, and doing anything extraordinary is going to build confidence. I have never fire walked but I have sky dived and for a couple of week after that I was walking above the clouds.

#15     Jun 21, 2011
  6. #16     Jun 22, 2011
  7. #17     Jun 22, 2011
  8. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I've watched in person fire-walking, jumping into the icy cold waters of Lake Michigan in the winter, extreme first time piercing shows, extreme fasting and many others...

Regardless to doing such once or consistently (many many times)...it ain't going to help you profitably scalp 2k or 200k if you don't have a profitable trading plan. Yet, it could give you confidence to put the effort into developing a profitable trading plan and executing the plan. :cool:

Mark

#18     Jun 22, 2011
  9. Im curious, how does the foolish act subjecting yourself to potentially serious burn but "confident" that you're safe equate to successful trading? Is it that foolish acts such as firewalking uh coalwalking numb our minds to other foolish acts such as trading :p

#19     Jun 22, 2011
  10. Totally a tangent here, but thought I'd mention how I deal with unsavory menial crap like doing dishes ... I save them 'til very first thing in the morning, when my brain is still half asleep. It seems to go more quickly that way and I'm not as annoyed about wasting quality awake time.

#20     Jun 22, 2011