Fire Walking anyone?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by loza, Jun 21, 2011.

1. loza

loza Guest

I just came back from the Kona coast of the Big Island of Hawaii. I wanted to do some research into the old ways of the Kahuna the pre-forced-christianization Hawaiian adviser/social worker/shaman(healer).
    As you probably know Tony Robbins "borrowed" the whole experience of fire-walking from the shamanistic practices of various cultures. The Hawaiian's were very big about fire walking.
    Naturally, today we have the "scientific" explanation of how that is possible so it makes us wonder why they do it. To show off? Or to get more followers?
    No, it was an esoteric practice to show and prove that the "mind is over matter" (i.e. it you don't mind a little hot coal under your feet, it does not matter)
    ...it was to overcome fear and foster self-control of the inner circle who was even invited to participate.
    If you can do this, then you can probably scalp the eMini with 20-30k in the bank....
    Why would anyone in his or her right mind want to walk on fire? I feel; that we have many great opportunities to expand who we choose to be by what we are willing to go through. The Bible states," When you walk through fire, you will not be burned," Isaiah 43:1-4. If it is good enough to be written, then it is good enough for us to be part of this life experience.
    Would you do it? Have you done it? Comments, questions, (flames?)

2. I sent an ex girlfriend to tony Robbins ( I do like the guy) fire walk seminar back in the 9os

She did it and was fired up about changing her life for awhile// started a business but failed and went back to being a couch potato. In other words, the change didn't last.

3. jokepie

jokepie

I have seen it in many cultures especially indian yogis or Tantriks.
    Its all about the mind control. I believe whats critical is why would someone do it ? Do they want to "prove" it to the mind - that is a self defeating purpose as it reflects the presence of ego.
    In the true sense it can be as simple as taking a cold bath.

4. Tolly Burkan, founder of FIRE, is a friend of mine and I worked with his organization in the early 90s as well as Tony Robbins.

http://firewalking.com/

5. Interesting. Is it true that robbins is just a franchisee of Richard Bandler?

6. Robbins modeled Bandler and Grinder the cofounders of NLP and offered his own NLP certifications until the early 90's when he rebranded it NAC, Neruo Associative Conditioning.

The last event of his I attended was a 2 week NAC certification in 1991 at the Hyatt, now Hilton I think, Waikola Village on the Kona side of the big Island.

7. LeeD

LeeD

Do the Kahuna adepts get their feet wet in cold water before walking on fire? If they do, it's as much about belief in modern physics as about mental power.

8. loza

loza Guest

No, they do not! They do not need to...the whole thing is about fear and controlling your fear....(...or faith and belief in something when it does not make sense.....)
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/human-body/bodily-feats/firewalking.htm

9. LeeD

LeeD

Thanks for the link. Now it's easy to see what kind of mind trick firewalking is:

10. jokepie

jokepie

Really Idea is not to do Magic and defy physics its about confidence. If you see this in a SHOW then you are merely there to amuse your self. But if you are going to do it - You must Believe that it won't burn you.

#10     Jun 21, 2011