Fios or T1?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DWV, Feb 5, 2008.

1. RedDuke

RedDuke

I wish I could try Fios, but it is not available where I live yet.

#21     Feb 13, 2008
  2. segv

segv

I will tell you all a big secret: There has not been any value in paying for a T1 since DSL became widely deployed. In fact in most major markets T1 circuits are DSL because it allows the carrier to reclaim valuable copper pairs.

#22     Feb 13, 2008
  3. Darshan

Darshan

Anyone in the Chicagoland area have FIOS? Availablility seems to be limited here in the midwest

#23     Sep 3, 2008
  4. i've got comcast with powerboost. plugged into my router, i'm getting 31 megs download speed.
    wireless drops to 5, though.

#24     Feb 17, 2009
  5. jumper

jumper

I have Fios now. 42 down, 11 up. blazing fast...

#25     Feb 17, 2009
  6. GTS

GTS

This thread is a year old ... what makes people spontaneously start replying to a thread that hasn't been touched in 5 months?

#26     Feb 17, 2009
  7. wow that really is fast.

#27     Feb 17, 2009
  8. jumper

jumper

technology constantly changes :D

#28     Feb 17, 2009

9. i was searching fios vs t1 on google and i found this.

i only left verizon for comcast to begin with because they didn't have fios in my area back then.

#29     Feb 17, 2009
  10. Bandwidth is only half the equation. More importantly is latentcy(ping). T1 has a much lower latency than cable/fios. Bandwidth is just how much data can be sent. Latency is the speed of data sent.

When you are trading you are sending/receiving small packets of data, so bandwidth is not important. The latency of those packets is crucial.

#30     Nov 29, 2011