Finding Annualized Volatility for Black Scholes Option Pricing?

Discussion in 'Options' started by Fain, Apr 7, 2021.

1. destriero

destriero

Is that the co in question? Trading at $0.32? If so the annualized volatility will be in the triple digits. There is no sound method of valuing the shit. So if you're not working there, don't take the gig. If you do work there; your co's valuation will have to do.

#11     Apr 7, 2021
  2. Fain

Fain

Not much precision. Just a ball-park calculation.

#12     Apr 7, 2021
  3. destriero

destriero

Calculate the historical volatility of the shares. Use that figure. Or find analogs that are listed companies with listed options and use that as a proxy.

#13     Apr 7, 2021
  4. Fain

Fain

Not sure what you mean by "co's valuation".

There's about 7-8 companies total. Companies usually apply a valuation to stock options given to directors so I wouldn't say that there's "no sound method". Obviously they are finding the annualized stock volatility when they are provider their disclosures on Executive compensation etc.

#14     Apr 7, 2021
  5. Fain

Fain

This is my original question. Where to find the historical volatility of the shares?

#15     Apr 7, 2021
  6. ajacobson

ajacobson

The grantor firm has to price the contingent liability - ask them. Annualized is pretty worthless in many cases. Stock could be 0 annualized. I would argue the front implied, unless there is a corporate event, is the best gut guess. Leaps don't handle volatility well - they are more about net carry.

#16     Apr 7, 2021
    destriero likes this.
  7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

why do you say LEAPs don’t handle volatility well?

#17     Apr 7, 2021
  8. ajacobson

ajacobson

The longer time the more normal the distribution - so BS doesn't work well for discovering Leap Greeks. The farther in time you go the carry begins to have more weight than the volatility. Google will send you to some Leap models. The pricing in BS is decent, but the Greeks aren't.
    Longer-dated stuff needs a rate forecast and a div. growth estimate.

#18     Apr 7, 2021
    ZBZB likes this.
  9. destriero

destriero

And they would dispute any figure. It's your job (the OP) to question their valuation.

#19     Apr 7, 2021
  10. destriero

destriero

I could give you a robust figure but I don't have data on cn shares.

#20     Apr 7, 2021