Finding a Trading Internship/entry level job

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by SMRT_TRDR, Mar 22, 2011.

1. When did you last work as a fin advisor??

#21     Mar 27, 2011
  2. 1yr ago, my licenses are still good...and clean.

#22     Mar 27, 2011
  3. FoxGekko3

FoxGekko3

I think I'm somewhat in your situation, yet at the sametime worlds apart. Since you're in jersey you have the advantage of being close to the markets. I, on the other hand, live in north carolina,where the mention of forex or derivitives will get nothing but head scratching. Being born and raised here I've always felt like an outsider. My goal since the age of 12 was to be a trader in ny or chicago. Despite having a learning disability, I graduated from a really small school with a bs in accounting and one in accounting. Would've been a finance and econ major but my school didn't offer them.My goal was to start working just after graduation,but with it being 2006,needless to say it didn't happen. Couldn't find any job(and i mean ANY job. I was actually told by the manager at the joblink office that I "wasn't qualified to be a janitor.") so i decided to teach myself forex and study for the gmat. Since my gpa was 2.4 (yea i know it's low.But remember I have a LD and didn't use any accomadations or meds, just willpower) I couldn't get any letters of rec. so I had to find a somewhat popular local school and get the needed score to get in. Took me a year but I got it a couple months ago.My situation is that I'm closing in on 30 and want to work now! I really want to do some entry-level back office stuff to get my foot in the door. I wish they still had mail room jobs or the like, and maybe they do. my question is what does someone like me who lives so far away and is pretty much left on his own do in order to get in the door? Sorry for the long rambling. I'm not trying to hijack your thread or anything, it's just I have five years of nothing but frustrations built up. I do wish you the best in your job search. your gpa and location should put you in a good position to land a nice one. I did hear about one a few years back at onli.com. Don't know if it helps or if thats what you're looking for.

#23     Mar 30, 2011
  4. Buddy, congratulations on your accomplishments thus far. You are moving towards your goal and staying persistant. For that I commend you.
    I do not know the answer to your question as I am still trying to get in the door...one thing I have learned is that your resume better be immaculate. I just had mine redone and I just today received a reply from a NY firm, hoping for the best, there I'll leave it for now.
    It is interesting as we are similar as you said but quite different. I have quite a bit of trading experience I am self diagnosed as ADD lol (no pun intended) but when I trade I am more calm than when Im out with my friends.
    I just started trading a practice account with FOREX and and have carried over my success to this type of trading.

If I were you I would focus on firms in Miami or TX. There is big money in TX especially and probably some reputable prop firms and investment co.'s as well.

Good luck on your quest, I know it is extremely frustrating, I get bummed out too, but you have got to keep moving....
    "Winners never quit, and quitters never win."

#24     Mar 30, 2011