Finding a Trading Internship/entry level job

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by SMRT_TRDR, Mar 22, 2011.

1. CET

CET

It is Hess Corp. There are three back office analyst positions that support their commodity trading. These are "get your foot in the door" positions.

http://www.hess.com/careers/default.aspx

Scroll down and find the Related Links on the right side. The jobs are in the Corporate and M&R sections. Good luck.

#11     Mar 26, 2011
  2. sle

sle

Any programming skills?
    How good is your higher math and stats?
    What do you want to do you if you grow up?
    What kind of trading do you want to do?

#12     Mar 27, 2011
  3. Im not a pogrammer, lol

I want to trade, does not matter if its for currencies, stocks, , or options.

"what kind of trading" <----what is that supposed to mean?

Pro traders are very quick in their trades...so you have me somewhat confused on this vauge question.

#13     Mar 27, 2011
  4. sle

sle

I wanted to see if you would be a good fit for a summer job at our fund. We do vol arb, stat arb and some fixed income arb/RV. Does not look likely, sorry - knowledge of math and programming experience are too important.

#14     Mar 27, 2011
  5. You can trade retail-prop or full-prop. There are repuatable firms out there. A lot of the retail-in-disguise firms were shut down a few years ago although I'm sure many still exist. If you decide retail-prop or full-prop do your research. According to you, you've done "quite well", so it sounds like you can afford to put down an initial deposit with a retail prop and continue your current operations albeit with more risk capital at your disposal. If you decide to pursue full-prop (no initial deposit or charges for training) it shouldn't be much of a problem for you to get started with a reputable firm provided you do your own research. There's a lot of stuff on ET btw.

I didn't major in anything finance-related in college. I knew I had almost no shot of landing a HF trading gig. Being naive, I even walked up to the door of a major HF run by Jerry Parker and asked for an internship as a trader. They buzzed me in and listened to me and humored me but it never went further than that (besides the fact they're all automated). So I applied to about 20+ firms and luckily got into my top choice (I'm still with them today and no I won't share the firm here). It can be done.

As a side note if you decide to apply full-prop, don't harp on how much "passion" you have...they've heard it all before.

#15     Mar 27, 2011
  6. I have taken several mathematics and stat. courses...what level of math are you specifically referring to ?

#16     Mar 27, 2011
  7. Thank you, I will look into this shortly.

#17     Mar 27, 2011
  8. risky63

risky63

just a little off subject...but it sure was nice to see a thread (subject matter) that is suppossed to be here.
    and have nice responses to the op's question.
    If only this place was like this all the time, maybe some newbs could learn something instead of getting spit at.

#18     Mar 27, 2011
  9. A legit trading firms hire only people who have a master degree in math and engineer in computer science. Finance and investment will land you a sales job. Let me give you an example:

Front office Trade Support-Derivatives

Role overview:
    The primary duty of the role is to be part of the EMG IT Trading Support team, to work alongside the Front Office traders to support and develop new applications for the Emerging Markets derivatives business. Support of current production trading books and applications will also form an integral part of the role.

Key Deliverables:
    The major responsibilities of the role include:
    # Understand the current applications and business processes, identify extensions and new functionality
    # Support to the EM Derivatives trading desk.
    # Dealing with urgent trader requests and issue resolution.
    # Investigation into trade positions and analysis of valuation and risk issues.
    # Interfacing with other IT departments, in particular Derivatives IT, Product Control and Risk Measurement & Management to ensure that the work falls within the main overall IT strategy for the organization.

# Gain an understanding of the derivative business and front-to-back trading processes.

Alongside the above the role would require the candidate to:
    # Carry out development efforts utilizing a wide variety of technologies on systems and feeds between spreadsheets, front office data stores, and back office channels

# Perform work on new strategic systems to assist the replacement of spreadsheets

The role will involve liaison with the EM Derivatives trading desk to understand complex business problems and assess the business requirements for a variety of ongoing business-driven enhancements.

There will also be additional responsibilities such as assessment and prioritization of proposed development items, functional verification of delivered features, ad-hoc system bug analysis, and handling of “business as usual” requests.

The EM Support teams support the desks in trading a full range of derivatives products, including Interest Rate Swaps, FX products, Bonds , CDSs, CLNs, Total Return Swaps, Swaptions, Caps Floors, Futures, and other structured products. Developer roles in the support teams expose team members to the complete spectrum of trading and exposure to more complex instruments is limited only by the candidate’s interest and ability.

Qualifications/Competencies:
    Education & Professional Qualifications:
    Essential
    A bachelor’s degree in Finance, a Mathematical Science, Engineering or Computer Science is required.
    Desirable
    Graduate work in Finance, Mathematics or another Quantitative Science is preferred.

Work experience / Background:
    Essential:
    This role requires at least two years of experience in investment banking with some in a trader support or business analysis capacity in a front office development environment.

The ability to take ownership of issues and follow to resolution is important; as is an innovative approach and methodical analytical style of problem solving.

Desirable:
    Previous experience as a front office spreadsheet developer or risk system developer would be advantageous through not essential.

Any experience of the structure and valuation of Interest Rate, FX, Credit products and other vanilla products would be useful. Further experience with other exotic products and Latin America markets would be also be beneficial.

TECHINICAL/BUSINESS SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE:
    Essential:
    Candidates will need to be able to demonstrate strong design and development skills in C#.

A good understanding of the importance of good software development practices is vital.

1+ years experience with C# and SQL are required.
    Previous experience in VB development

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSee...&APath=2.31.0.0.0&job_did=J3F7RZ77F4SXKK35CZF

good luck on your job search

#19     Mar 27, 2011
  10. Trade support is more the IT side is it not?

I know there are multiple levels to a single trade execution...I am only interested in the aspect of point of purchase and sale. This is not a position which would reuire substantial levels of higher education and programming abilities.

Correct me if I am wrong please...every pertinant input is greatly appreciated.

#20     Mar 27, 2011