Finate State Machine (FSM)-based long-term strategies

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by abrakadabr17, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Hi Guys,

I am developing an online-service offering historical/statistical back-testing of completely parametrizable FSM-based long-term stratergies (max 1 trade a day).

Could you please suggest which FSM strategies you would be interested to see and have simulated?

I would be glad to have them integrated and tested for you and free access provided once it's ready.

Thank you.

2. Price action

3. 2rosy

2rosy

first you need to know what a finite state machine is. It's a software design pattern and unrelated to strategies although you could use it to keep "state".
    a simple example is a light switch (on/off)

4. Snuskpelle

Snuskpelle

Yep, also;

In the video game industry for strategy games we avoided FSMs wherever possible because a system easily is in wrong state at the time a decision is needed.

I do code with FSMs occasionally, e.g. to separate between the states of being uninvested and invested (which makes sense for certain algos), but it's not anything that has anything to do with the trade strategy.

FSMs are very low tech and among the easiest things to code.

5. Thank you for your response. I actually have Masters in Computer Eng. and think I do know what FSM means.

Actually, I would like to slightly refrase my question:

Imagine I approached you as as a friend asking for an alternative to Buy-n-Hold or Buy-the-Dip or some SMA-constrained variation thereof for managing my longer term investments.

What would be your suggestions? Which strategies would you suggest? Which indicaters would you consider placing a Buy or a Sell order?

6. Thank you for your response.

Imagine I approached you as as a friend asking for an alternative to Buy-n-Hold or Buy-the-Dip or some SMA-constrained variation thereof for managing my longer term investments.

What would be your suggestions? Which strategies would you suggest? Which indicaters would you consider placing a Buy or a Sell order?

7. Thanks a lot. Will check it out.

What would be your suggestions? Which strategies would you suggest? Which indicators would you consider placing a Buy or a Sell order?

8. rb7

rb7

Could you repeat your question???
    :D

fan27 likes this.
  9. 2rosy

2rosy

factor covariance model. if you have access to a good optimizer it can be done in a reasonable amount of time (ie. gurobi, mosek).