Financial transactions tax ok'd in Europe

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Optionpro007, Jan 23, 2013.

1. vicirek

vicirek

No problem. Free country.

#11     Jan 23, 2013
  2. hoffmanw

hoffmanw

Forex is exempted.

#12     Jan 23, 2013
  3. achilles28

achilles28

Dangerous stuff. Hard to see it becoming a reality, across the board. Mature economies are heavily reliant on financial speculation.

#13     Jan 23, 2013
  4. it's exempted as long as what happens in the rest of their business doesn't affect you

gosh dang, don't they teach these kids anything anymore?

thank g-d I was raised before they invented "The Department of Education"

back then, a father could educate his kid without paying all kinds of taxes

but now, if they tax somebody else, you pay for it in someway or the other

so tax me, as a trader, it's just finally going to come out of your pocket

#14     Jan 23, 2013
  5. achilles28

achilles28

^

The flipside to all this is a transaction tax drives out liquidity which distorts prices and increases the spread. I think Goldman or UBS did a study on the impact of a transaction tax on pension fund returns. The annual performance loss was estimated at ~ -3%. Doesn't sound like much, but it adds up. Especially when conservative funds do 5-6%, in a good year.

#15     Jan 23, 2013
  6. they already coverd this on the other thread, we are just bitching about the general pricinple of it all, especially how there will be no escape, no matter what country you reside in

over there, they are still trying to fight it

over here, we are trying to figure out how to deal with it

#16     Jan 23, 2013
  7. achilles28

achilles28

I'm not following either thread. Although, I ought to be.

I'm definitely in the fight it camp. This is how I earn my living.

#17     Jan 23, 2013
  8. Visaria

Visaria

Move to London. We are not implementing any dumbo FTT here, in fact, we r trying to leave Europe!

(unless the nutty Labour Party comes back into power, then we are all doomed)

#18     Jan 24, 2013
  9. tortoise

tortoise

Amazing, though, how people neglect the lessons of history. In this case, I refer to Labor and that actor, what's-his-name, eagerly working on Germany's behalf just as a different set of fellow-travelers were eager to work on Germany's behalf 70 years ago.

Make no mistake, Germany's goal, in many respects, is the same as it always has been--domination of Europe by whatever means. This time, Germany takes aim at the one area of financial activity in which it does not dominate, financial services.

Once again, England finds itself, more-or-less, alone.

#19     Jan 24, 2013
  10. Visaria

Visaria