Financial Engineering masters programs

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Copernicus, Apr 7, 2004.

1. HI All

If your smart enough to get into University of Chicago why in hell would u waste your time on a masters degree in financial engineering??? Havnt u heard about offshoring? They'll be able to hire Indians with PHds for peanuts. U need to get into a field where u can control your own destingy like med School, dental school or law school.

#11     Apr 8, 2004
  2. barsik

barsik

It was my feeling that the admission is biased
    towards people with math/physics background
    (vs. finance industry/trading); recommendations from your math/physics professor would help a lot.
    Getting in is not easy, and the amount of workload is quite high (I think it would be impossible to combine full-time studies with a full-time job).

PM me if you have more questions.

#12     Apr 8, 2004
  3. barsik

barsik

Nothing is immune, not even medicine, although
    it would be hard to offshore emergency rooms.

#13     Apr 8, 2004
  4. sammy12

sammy12

Even Medicine is not immune. Most of the Radiologist work (Like X-Ray and CAT scan Reading) is already being off-shored

#14     Apr 8, 2004
  5. Yeah i can imagine, Dr. Tsay has to be awesome, London school of economics is using his book on analysis of financial seeries.

#15     Apr 8, 2004
  6. I dont know sterling, but in my opinion trading the markets is the ultimate "control your destiny profession" how do u control your destiny being a doctor, a lawyer? all u can do is work more hours. besides, even with a masters in financial engineering and a corporate job at an IB u make more starting out than 75 % of doctors with a 10 yr practice.

#16     Apr 8, 2004
  7. kinda defeats the purpose of the "1 year degree," yes yes?? :D

#17     Apr 8, 2004
  8. because there will ALWAYS be rich people to take money from...

AND the punjabi institute of technology does not carry the same name recognition as the U of C.

#18     Apr 8, 2004
  9. Yes, an incredibly quick mind, from what I could gather from a single lecture. I have one of his books gathering dust on the shelf.

riskarb

#19     Apr 8, 2004
  10. I looked into these programs. Carnegie Mellon is good. They also offer a non degree certificate program which might be worthit. They are the only school that has shown placement stats. Look very carefully into all these programs. Not all show placement stats. A lot are just cobbled together from different departments and maybe too theoretical. Another option worth looking into that might be easier to get into but w/ good placement is the oregon institute of tech. Still tough to get in but easier than Carnegie Mellon.

#20     Apr 8, 2004