Financial Engineering for retail traders

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by arman555, Apr 21, 2020.

1. arman555

arman555

Hello,

I am a big fan of NOT predicting future rather pick something to trade that is oscillating or close to oscillating. So it can be traded easily. Now there is a whole world of HF trading but lets leave that aside because retail traders dont have the means for that.
    That being said, can we make an instrument by adding subtracting applying weights to other instruments and trading them as one (pair or basket trading). Of Course we can!

However what we need for that is extremely reliable data and charting technology, forget the news the impact and this and that.... look at how the chart is behaving.

Purpose of this Post, find someone to bounce ideas with and a couple of questions.

I feel like there is a cult type following of IB tws. But it Sucks (there I said it). Becuase charting of tws is extremely hard to handle. It wont chart the pairs or two different currency products. And there are many little annoying things like you cant view the history behind 7 days. why 7? No idea. and other things.

TOS Uses "mark" price to chart the pair, which i was told can be LAST BID or ASK. means you cant really scalp pips there even if you see the chart running up and down between -50 to +50. In plain words... Both tws and tos are WRONG.

Metatrader takes the lead on everything in charting and simplicity, you can program the EA as complicated as you want, make your own graph and what not. But then DATA is not reliable.
    For example: I have paid subscription to Tradingview.. If you chart BZN2020 and BZQ2020 and look at the graph at 15 FEB you will see a $3 difference which quickly becomes zero as the volume increases. Its so easy to trade. but when i correlate to IB same candle 15 FEB 5:00, The difference is 0.04 cents. which obviously is not tradeable.

Question:
    You would probably know my question by now, a broker/ platform or something that would either give a good charting nice and crisp graph easy to ead and zoomable. or atleast be able to export data to excel so i can do it on my own.

Also i am pretty far advanced in this area.. if someone would like to discuss somethings along those lines... I am open for it.

2. RockNar

RockNar

Holy balls can somebody summarize.

3. Check out eSignal. I am also looking at NinjaTrader. IB's charting is awful...

4. The vol in energies right now is ridiculous. I don't see why people like trading calendar spreads so much. Especially energy calendars...

I would much rather trade an index spread, rate spread, or a rate / index spread.

Tradestation 'FuturesPlus' is a spread trading offering partnered with TT that is demo'd in this video

(haven't tried it yet)

I would think you would need really good spread trading software for what you are talking about. Maybe stuff like CTS, X_Trader, or CQG or something.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    Fx-Game likes this.
  5. VAtrader

VAtrader

Have you tried Stock charts.com, orion multi trader or TradeHawk. I am Not associated with either or any of them. I just use them

6. arman555

arman555

Thanks all the above. Most of those names are new (in terms of pair trading) so i am on it.

Here is an example of what i do. GBPJPY- USDJPY*GBUSD. is triangular arbitrage. Which is out of any retail traders reach. However we can adjust the size the pairs until we see some devistions.

7. Asym-size would result in net exposure. WTF would you want to do that rather than taking smaller size outright? Makes no sense to trade the biased tri-arb.

8. Where is the financial engineering part

gaussian likes this.
  9. arman555

arman555

Man its an example, follow the thought train.

10. gaussian

gaussian

I dont see any financial engineering here OP.

#10     Apr 22, 2020