Finally! Tesla IPO

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by TMcKenna, Jan 29, 2010.

1. #41     May 21, 2010
  2. Kosharie

Kosharie

3hrs and at 6'4 I probably don't fit anyway.

I use rechargable battery powered tools all the time and the technology has improved dramatically in just a few years and that will ultimately extrapolate to car batteries.
    With lithium ion batteries the weight is less than half what it was ten years ago and recharge time for a quality tool battery is now 15-20 min.

The real current break-though is an Austin company called E-Store who developed a large capacitor that weighs less than a hundred pounds, holds 15 Kw and recharges in 30 seconds.
    They are working with Canadian EV maker Zen Motors...and Lockheed Martin.

The original Tesla battery bank was 600 lbs of computer batteries. I'm not sure where they are now with it.

#42     May 21, 2010
  3. Kosharie

Kosharie

#43     May 21, 2010
  4. kxvid

kxvid

The only thing eestor has developed is hype. I've been following this fraud for years. Years after years of missed deadlines, hype, posturing and hope. No thanks. It's rather sad actually because it takes away from other small energy companies that really do have a new approach/technology.

#44     May 26, 2010
  5. Baudot

Baudot

Alot of this discussion truly suprises me but I guess people enjoy discussing their points in a context that doesn't include making money on an investment.

Aside from the obvious question of whether you and I can make money on an IPO... I think a more sophisticated one is... does this product have a market large enough to drive sufficient revenue to push the IPO price up?

Whether the product will eventually crash and burn is only relevant later on when we wish to discuss shorting the company unless you all are planning to short the IPO right away. (Not me)

Here is what I know about the market.

I saw a head of RIM in a Tesla at a local establishment. I was freakin' impressed. It is a damned impressive status symbol.

Will people with less money than him fork out dough for the sedan. Probably very few people here but I'm pretty certain that the number of people who think this is a dumb idea has not relation to the number of people willing to pay an extra 10 or 20K to make an ecological statement. (I recommend watching the documentary "who killed the electric car") I don't think the number of people required to make this a success has to be that great. Anyone have some math on this?

Will oil grow more in favour or less in favour over the next 3 to 5 years? For several reasons I'm thinking less.

What are the odds that production costs will come down or better materials will improve the mass appeal of the product. I think there is room for optimism. Even if it is false optimism I'm concerned about what will drive the market not reality although the possibility is real.

So for these and several others, I think this is a product with potential and an IPO with potential.

I haven't looked into Tesla specifically or any possible competition but I think it is unwise to say this company has no future and the IPO is doomed... unless of course you are trying to discourage people from participating in an IPO auction. That would make sense.

Eric

#45     May 28, 2010
  6. #46     May 28, 2010
  7. Kosharie

Kosharie

EEstor was very secretive in the beginning, releasing nothing.
    They would have been well served to maintain that same posture as time passed and the development process continues taking much longer than expected. It may ultimately fail, but then that experience becomes part of the greater learning curve.
    It has no bearing on parallel developments of others.
    To infer that EEstor is a fraud says more about you than them.

#47     May 29, 2010
  8. Read the fortune article on tesla, it really makes you think about 3 things...1 is this CEO going forward going to make the same retard mistakes as before (redesigning to death, delays delay delays). 2. Can they create cashflow that is both long term and above average in terms of ev, but trading at a significant discount so it looks attractive valuation wise. 3, and the most important, can they compete with GM and Nissan and Ford in the electric sedan market and be able to be price competitive by getting down their overhead??

I feel that the CEO has learned, but the car business is a very tricky one the google boys may be investors but their cars were delivered 2 years late. I think that it will be be either overpriced and never at a good point in terms of valuation if they can actually produce a cashflow. Lastly, all of the other car companies are going to eventually produce electric cars both in the sedan market (and probably mop the floor with tesla). So this leaves tesla to produce high end cars and will be competing against all the established luxury car companies that will be producing electic sports cars.

I think that they missed their chance by delaying so much and that is all on the current CEOs head. If he would have not changed the design so much they could have had this out there in 2007 and been a mile ahead of ford, gm et, but now they are going to be in a tough space with only hype to sell their cars. Lastly, who the eff is going to service these electric cars, tesla does not have a built in servicing infrastructure like everyone else.

#48     May 30, 2010
  9. The idea of a performance electric is a neat gimmick, but is of no benefit to anyone, much like the Prius.

What the world could use is a feet of safe, affordable lighter weight cars that get 50mpg and are not made of completely toxic materials using toxic processes.

When I was a kid a Ferrari had 260HP. now they have what, 2X that or more? The HP race has gone insane.

Lets use that technology to have decent, lighter weight family vehicles that can get 50 mpg.

If we can read the economy of the Debt pyramid scheme, there will not longer be an incentive for massive and idiotic consumption, and both people and the planet will be better off.

We need to end the -rape the planet for profit- economic plan, as it will soon be vastly reducing the quality of life for everyone on earth. By the way this is coming from a stone cold rightist/conservative, I am not a leftist green, etc.

I used to love high performance cars and I owned a few. When I moved to an urban center and sold them, it was eye opening. I now see that cars are by and large a huge waste of resources, including time. I am now perfectly happy with a zip car those few times I need to drive.

When I do need a car again I will get a used 4runner or something similar. The system needs the excess consumption so that people have the income to make their debt payments. The entire consumer-based economy is insane and counter-productive.

#49     May 31, 2010
  10. there are only two things that will make Telsa viable: ridiculously high gasoline prices or government subsidies to make the cars attractive to more buyers. at $50k to $100k, they're out of reach for 98% of buyers.

while other manufacturers like nissan, GM, etc, are offering pure electric vehicles, the viability of those companies isn't dependent on the success of electric vehicles. they have plenty of other offerings to absorb losses. telsa is an all-or-nothing bet.

#50     May 31, 2010