Finally Some Good News, Grand Jury Refuses To Indict McDonald's Guy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Ricter

Ricter

Did you stop reading when you saw this part you liked? The laissez fairy economy is what brought them to the crisis. It's what brought on this most recent crisis. You've admitted previously that some government is desirable, so our debate is about the degree, not the existence. You don't think there should be no government oversight, and I don't think there should be total government oversight.

#41     Dec 7, 2011
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

No
    to some extent
    Not buying that one. The government has it's tentacles all over the economy now and, according to YOUR link, it's been that way since the mid 30's
    True, you want more I want less.

#42     Dec 7, 2011
  3. Ricter

Ricter

I'm in the camp that blames the repeal of Glass-Steagall for the lion's share of this crisis.

#43     Dec 7, 2011
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

That and bleeding heart congressmen all but forcing banks to make home loans to people who can't even afford their rent let alone a mortgage payment. A perfect example of why I prefer less government control influence and interference. And a perfect example as to why I can't figure out why YOU guys want more government.

#44     Dec 8, 2011
  5. I grew up in a small town where every other guy was a bad ass and one of my bad ass friends told be about the same thing. He got in a bar fight and stopped short of knocking the guy out, well you know the story he ended up getting his ass kicked. Then on he didn't stop until the other guy was out.
    This video is no big deal, the rod looked like an electrical conduit rod not a solid steel rod, it would hurt like hell but not deadly. You guys are really hurting for some hero worship if you think this guy deserves a medal.
    To be a hero you should do something heroic, protecting yourself isn't heroic.

#45     Dec 8, 2011
  6. And once again, you're wrong.

There are plenty of reasons to favor some sort of Glass-Steagal separation of traditional banking and investment banking. The financial crisis however isn't one of them.

The crisis was brought on by a toxic combination of poor underwriting standards for mortgages, massive risk control failure at the GSE level, conflicted and/or corrupt ratings agencies and naive reliance on ratings by end investors, plus excessive leverage throughout the system.

The biggest failures were by the Fed in lax oversight and allowing a real estate bubble to grow unchecked, then acting precipitiously to deflate it, triggering a property crash. You can check the archives and find that I warned at the time that Bernanke was creating a catastrophe.

The other biggest failure was by FNM and FRE,which by that time were more concerned about creating phony profits to justify obscene stock options to the political hacks nominally in charge. The congressmen, like Barney Frank and Chris Dodd, who they had in their back pockets also should have been forced to answer for their role.

Derivatives of course multiplied the scope of the disaster, but they didn't cause it.

#46     Dec 8, 2011
  7. I don't think anyone is saying the guy is a big hero, only that it's unfair that he should go back to prison for a fracas these crazy women instigated.

#47     Dec 8, 2011
  8. Ricter

Ricter

Ok, some other form of government non-intervention in the free market was the principal cause, thank you.
    Your claim about FNM and FRE has been thoroughly debunked. They don't even make the top 25 list for biggest players.

#48     Dec 8, 2011
  9. JamesL

JamesL

#49     Dec 8, 2011
  10. I agree on that for sure. Basic rule if you start a fight be aware you may get your ass kicked , these girls know that rule now.

#50     Dec 8, 2011