FINALLY...Real-Time Stock Quotes at Yahoo--For Free!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by just21, May 29, 2008.

1. hughb

hughb

Yahoo F constantly gives me that little message down at the bottom of my screen that says "waiting on api streamer blah blah blah" and it slows down my browser. So I had to dumy Yahoo F for Google F. If it weren't for that I would rather have Yahoo anyday.

#11     May 30, 2008
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

Chart is still 20 mins behind and the quote page actually displays 2 prices, one New current and one 20 mins delayed....

#12     May 30, 2008
  3. Bob111

Bob111

last time i checked-no real time in premarket. even with real time paid subscription(cost you about $100 a year,no big deal,really, if you trade)
    don't know about BATS(as far as understand-they are ECN and most likely-provide their quotes for free) data from exchanges is subject to various agreements between provider and customer.what i'm trying to say that it's very unlikely that you see quotes from all providers as known as NBBO. i doubt, that ARCA,which charge per account,per customer will give you their quotes for free.

#13     May 30, 2008
  4. I think it is kind of ridiculous that some people on this thread are criticizing the real-time quotes at Yahoo!Finance. Obviously, they are not fully adequete, but it is a step in the right direction. I'm sure the charts will be real-time shortly too. Maybe we can even see Level II quotes some time in the future for free (not on a crappy website that requires a brokerage account at a select firms) as well...

So my overall opinion is that some of you guys need to stop critizing this, saying its insufficient or w.e. It is not hurting anyone... It's progress nevertheless!

#14     May 30, 2008
  5. Bob111

Bob111

yahoo quotes use to be free while ago,there is nothing new and exiting about it. same for L2. before M&A of INET and ARCA yahoo provide all those quotes for free. for years. pre\after\during market.at least i remember this. charts are up to time for those, who subscribe for real time.looks like you people not been around long enough.:)

#15     May 30, 2008
  6. nkhoi

nkhoi

Real-Time Market Quote Basics
    Real-Time Market Quotes let you track the action in your favorite stocks in real time—before the market has opened and while the market is open.

To obtain a market quote, simply select the "Real-time Market" option from the pull-down menu of the quote retrieval form. Or, you can obtain a basic quote or view your portfolio, and then click the "Real-time Mkt" link from the "Views" menu.

Real-Time Market Quotes are provided by an ECN called BATS Trading.

Please note that since the participating institutions do not trade all stocks on the major exchanges, Real-Time Market Quotes might not be available for certain securities. Furthermore, Real-Time Market Quotes represent current activity and quotes on participating institutions only, and might not represent the best bid or ask in the marketplace.

Note: Real-Time Market Quotes will appear during pre and market hours and are different from Real-Time Exchange Quotes, which appear pre-market, market, and after hours.

#16     May 30, 2008
  7. jhithers

jhithers

Why in the world would anyone serious about trading be using Yahoo! for quotes?

#17     May 30, 2008
  8. Well I'm 22...I've been into trading for only the past two years...

Nevertheless, its still beneficial that Yahoo! is now providing free quotes (AGAIN, I guess).

That being said though, I agree with a comment someone else wrote earlier: Real traders should not be using Yahoo!Finance for real time quotes. It would be especially absurd for day traders.

#18     May 30, 2008
  9. Bob111

Bob111

heh... if you trade for 2 years,yeah..it was before that.yahoo quotes can be used in number of ways...can you scan through whole nasdaq and nyse within 30 sec? i can. using yahoo. what you can do with the data is another story..

#19     May 30, 2008
  10. eagle

eagle

Thats for many reasons:

- Paper trading become more realistic. :D
    - Used to give buy/sell signal by the automate program, then you have to login to your broker website to execute a real trade. Not every broker have an API to allow us writing automate program using their quote.
    - Easy to check the quote frequently because login to Broker require time (login, password) etc.

The disadvantage is that it's not very accurate as the quote provided by our broker, it's only about 10% of the total exchange volume. The advantage is great, realtime quote should be free for everybody in the future.

#20     May 30, 2008