FINALLY...Real-Time Stock Quotes at Yahoo--For Free!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by just21, May 29, 2008.

1. just21

just21

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/5/finally_real_time_stock_quotes_at_yahoo_for_free_
    FINALLY...Real-Time Stock Quotes at Yahoo--For Free!
    Henry Blodget | May 28, 2008 12:00 PM

Picture 17.pngTwo bits of good news this morning:

1. Yahoo Finance has innovated! (Okay, that's a joke. We work at Yahoo Finance--as a host for TechTicker, a cool new video/blog production. So we know Yahoo Finance has done some innovating recently. But as far as we know, TechTicker was the first innovation in five years. And now it's a trend!).

2. Finally, at long last, real-time stock quotes are available on the web...at Yahoo Finance! Yahoo has partnered with a company called BATS Trading, which for some reason is providing real-time quotes for free.

We don't know about you, but we have had it up to our ears with that 20-minute delay crap. What's the problem been? The stock exchanges treat real-time price data as proprietary and charge up the wazoo for it. We personally think this is outrageous--like Major League Baseball treating game scores as proprietary--but a lot of good that has done us.

So, thank you, Yahoo!

UPDATE: Several folks have asked where the heck we're seeing these quotes. Here's a screen shot from the normal quote page: (After the market closed, it stopped saying "real time" and started saying "After hours"):

2. I noticed that today, great news.

3. I thought I was the only one who noticed! REALLY COOL!!

4. I agree. About friggin time. :D

5. Sh***t yeah, it's been brutal trying to trade on 20 min delay.

I hope to make even more $$$$$ now.

6. please get rid of the delayed #`s the, you self promoting sob`s we can tell you improved, now no need for a 15 minute delayed quote and a real time,,,,,,,yahoo......what a bunch of (pick your word here)...i use your services......but please

7. GUYS I'M NOT CRAZY!!!!!!

I Swear I was afraid to tell people this but about 3 weeks ago I was staring deep into the screen of Yahoo Finance and the numbers and letters started morphing and changing in real time- colors red to green everything- I thought I had lost my mind. This went on for about 15 minutes and stopped. I thought perhaps the THC had overwhelmed my other senses so I stayed quiet about it; I was going to post on the subject... Now I can assume that was a test run by Yahoo and indeed I am Not crazy. Phew! This seals the deal; Yahoo F is much better than Google F. ~ stoney

8. Exchange fees for stock quotes are only a dollar with most charting platforms.

9. rickf

rickf

Yahoo's had red-green numbers for a while now. It presented the illusion of realtime quotes, but was just the delayed data being 'streamed' and constantly updating on your screen. I have no idea how that differed from the fee-based realtime data they offered, though.

So no, you're not crazy. :)

10. PLEASE TELL MY WIFE!!!!!!

#10     May 30, 2008