Finally people's Republic of CA gets something right

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Index piker, Mar 30, 2010.

1. You can't answer my question so you duck and dodge it. I'll quote it again so you can see how silly your answer is.

"My questions to you is how many of those marijuana smokers...would be drug prisoners, violent criminals, repeat offenders, traffickers, or all of the above were marijuana not illegal?"

BTW: I find it ironic that you'll post and repeat with much vigor every cockamamie conspiracy theory that Art Bell or Jeff Rense or Alex Jones ever uttered. But drug prohibition is where you make your moral stand? Unreal.

#31     Apr 1, 2010
  2. okay any of you contraband gestapo supporters:

When was the last time coke and pepsi had a drive-by shootout over territory for caffeine distribution?

It's even more ridiculous that I get treated like a convicted criminal when I attempt to buy a 2 week supply of claritin D.

But then I pull out a script for 1 month supply of pain meds, oh that's no problem.

I just don't get the conservative/libertarian types that get all bent out of shape over gubbermint playing health ins company while they contently accept true authoritarian laws and behavior from para-military police forces.

#32     Apr 1, 2010
  3. I have no feelings one way or the other about drugs but what is lost on some is that we are not going to save any money by legalizing it. Not in enforcment or legal costs or social costs. In fact we will spend more collecting the tax and more on social costs since more people will be smoking pot.

One question. Why does the government have to tax it?? If its healthy and doesn't pose a hazzard like tobacco and alcohol then why should the government get a cut out of it? By taxing it the government is saying its harmful and we are going regulate it use. Think about that for a second.

I don't have the answer to how many would be in jail anyway. I doubt if there are many who possessed a small amount and had no prior record.

#33     Apr 1, 2010
  4. and you are a dumbass
    Tell me do you own a straw, razor blade, mirror, bic lighter?

Have any vitamins or meds in an unmarked prescription container without a recent date on it?

If you do you're a criminal that just hasn't been caught, yet.

God forbid you make your own vitamins , all that white powder, gel caps, the scale, the little 24 count capping press.

#34     Apr 1, 2010
  5. jem

jem

I want to spend less money on it period.

I find it hard to believe that decrminalizing it and or taxing it would not be revenue positive. But if someone can show it wold not be cheaper --- I guess I would shut up. The libertarian in me still thinks the government should stay out of the pot business but for now I would prefer lower taxes.

#35     Apr 1, 2010
  6. Not only revenue positive but positive for the whole economy if drug war was dismantled.

The War on Drugs is the quintessential broken window fallacy writ large across the nation.

At least our overseas wars have a moral component to them.

#36     Apr 1, 2010
  7. Mnphats

Mnphats

The government spends way to much time and money fighting a loosing battle against drugs. Pot growers are taking over state and federal parks in California and guarding their crops with guns and booby traps.

With that said, I do believe that pot is a gateway drug for some people. I have seen friends in high school start with pot and end up injecting themselves with that meth sh*t. Once they start meth it's essentially over for them; meth consumes everything they do.

#37     Apr 1, 2010
  8. Hello

Hello

YOU are nuts if you think the money wasted chasing dealers/users solves the crime, I recently went houseboating on the shuswaps, and did every single drug imagniable, people who want to do these drugs will do it, period. Bootleggers dont exist when a drug is legal. You are talking out your ass. Have you ever heard of someone bootlegging weed in amsterdamn? Everyone you know has more than likely smoked pot at some point in their life, there is no way you can tell me that being high from weed causes more problems than being drunk, i can honestly tell you i have never felt the need to go up and punch out the bouncer of a club when i was high as a kite, even though i have done something that stupid when i was pissed as a billygoat. Quite frankly i am embarrassd you are a conservative when you make a claim like this.

#38     Apr 2, 2010
  9. What are you talking about? I know money is wasted enforcing drug laws.

What you and other stoners don't seem to get and this my fourth attempt at it is that we will spend more money after its made legal than before because of the regulation aspects.

So quit making all of these arguments saying it will save money. Just be honest and say its becaue you can go buy it and get high anytime you want.

Also stop the arguments about all the losers in jail because of it. My former father in law was the physican at the Georgia State prison in Jackson Ga. He said the average IQ at the prison was 72. In case you didn't know, there is a high correlation between prison and IQ and those with low IQ's tend to be prone to ending up in jail for one reason or the other.

Tons of those growers will still be growing because they can. Do you not understand that the supply comes from criminals now? Do you think that a criminal is producing because he feels like he is doing a social service and will stop when its legal? They produce because they make money at it. If people can buy an bag of weed from a bootlegger for $300 why buy it from the government for $400? Do you think that all of a sudden when its made legal its going to be cheap?

When they make Alcohol legal why did people keep producing it illegally. Why do you think behavior will be any different with pot vs alcohol?

A guy I rented a house from after I sold mine in 2004 was the No.2 guy for the CBI in SoCal for drug enforcement. He told me they didn't even care about pot anymore. They were after the meth and coke guys.

So just say you want to get high all the time or whenever you want too and stop the bs about all the "smoke and mirror" issues like wasted money and unfair prison time.

#39     Apr 2, 2010
  10. This idea that people are not sent to prison for pot possession is not accurate. Maybe as a general rule they are not, at least for small amounts, but there are plenty of people serving hard time for possession. Do you want to take the risk that you or your kid gets sent before some john law judge who doesn't know the difference in weed and heroin?

Personally, I think it is wrong to jail people for weed. It's basically harmless, it's certainly no worse than booze or cigs and tens of millions of people are doing it. At some point, laws have to reflect the public's attitude or you have oppression. When such large percentages of people are using, it's pretty compelling evidence that this law needs to be changed.

#40     Apr 2, 2010