Final paper trade testing of Woodies CCI club

Discussion in 'Journals' started by mrbluelegs, Dec 27, 2007.

1. bespoke

bespoke

Don't give up on the CCI. One of my automated systems trades using CCI on equities without any other indicator and it produces great results (PF of about 4). The secret to making it work is so simple, yet I can't tell anyone what it is. Just keep looking and you may find it.

I don't know how Woodie's CCI works. I just use the standard one.

#41     Dec 30, 2007
  2. RedDuke

RedDuke

Hi Mrbluelegs,

I have been using CCI since 2005, it that time Woodie was using 3 min bars. CCI is the only price indicator that I use. The difficulty that I had and most have is being shaken out of trades. Many things can happen during 3 min, and even if you have long ZLR with green sidewinder and blue chop zone, you can still easily be shaken out of a trade, and the trade then could still go into original direction.

My solution was to switch from time fractals to constant volume bars. This also helped tremendously in identifying chop periods since if nothing is happening no volume bars are being produced where time bars are produced regardless.

I also use the price action in combination with CCI. I find it very helpful.

CCI works because it is just a visual interpretation of price action itself. Just turn you candles into line and compare it to CCI. No magic there as you of course know. You can trade without CCI just by looking at price action itself, but why making price interpretation harder then it needs to be.

Also, definitely stay out of message boards and rooms while trading, they will be a big distraction and will cause you to loose concentration.

Regards.
    redduke

#42     Dec 30, 2007
  3. one YM paper trade taken today + 10 scratch $ 40.00 net

#43     Dec 31, 2007
  4. 2 ER trades taken +42

#44     Dec 31, 2007
  5. 2 NQ Trades taken = 43 points

#45     Dec 31, 2007
  6. Recap; used trade entry checklist and avoided one entry mistake. Checklist works. May have to reexamine timing trades out. I missed two runners in last two days (#4 trade on ER today) by arbitrarily assuming that a certain time span exceeded means a trade is not working. Other wise the method to system test seems to be working. Weather the system works for me is to be determined.

Short term goal; Use Genesis tutor to finalize the set up of my trade tracking system. System requirements; equity curve of all setups taken in each market. Equity curve results of all setups traded together for each market.

Medium term Goal; Finish system acclimation period by friday jan 4
    and begin actual forward test on monday jan 7. and have a complete data set for 20 trading sessions in the YM, ER, NQ, by feb 4.

Long term goal; continue forward test until sample contains 100 examples of each set up traded. Evaluate system results and pick one market to trade for one month live with seperateequity curve filter on all set ups as well as cumulative equity curve for all trading.

#46     Dec 31, 2007
  7. Boib

Boib

Are you hoping to have 100 trades for all systems in all markets?
    trend following systems
    1.) Zero-line Reject (ZLR)
    2.) Trend Line Break (TLB)
    3.) The Tony Trade (TT)
    4.) GB100 (GB)

trend changing systems
    1.)The Famir Trade
    2.)The Vegas Trade
    3.)The Ghost Trade

#47     Dec 31, 2007
  8. Thats a good question because many of the set ups do not present themselves frequently, like the famir and gb100. My medium term goal is to have the full data set from the 20 day live forward testing on the three markets to work with.

#48     Jan 1, 2008
  9. Had to reboot and reimport data for the platform this am because of data corruption and missed the excellent down moves today. Got a couple of decent entrys in the afternoon. My biggest challenge is to stay focused and not to jigger the system to much.

#49     Jan 2, 2008
  10. Took a two short trades in the afternoon. The first was a rogue short that broke support and then bumped off overhead resistance. the second was a straight ZLR.

#50     Jan 2, 2008