Filters

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Bootsie, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Bootsie

Bootsie

Hello all,
    :)

I find this site to be a fantastic resourse for all types of traders. There is no better teacher than experience and what better place to exchange stories about the thing we all love to do.

I have a question for the crowd. I haven't seen too much discussion about stock filters. What types of filters does everyone use? i.e. websites, software, pay-sites, etc...

Thank you in advance for any input,

Best

2. Magna

Magna Administrator

Bootsie,

What types of filters does everyone use?

To be honest, I don't have a clue what you're talking about?! Do you mean filters used in intraday (or end-of-day) scans? Such as price, volume, relative strength, range, etc.?

3. Bootsie

Bootsie

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

For example: One of the many resourses I use is a website:

http://www.stockscores.com

I can do any type of intraday or afterhours filter I want
    i.e. If I want to seek out stocks in a certain price range on a certain exchange that say are oversold but have an attractive RSI and a bullish candle with a gap up from the previous day...

An exagerated example I know, but not far from the truth. I'm looking for something that is similar but can offer real time data.

Thanks again

4. Commisso

Commisso Guest

Bootsie:

I use Omega Tradestation for my eod
    I use Omege Radarscreen for my realtime screening

They are both mint

PEACE and good trading,
    Commisso

5. Bootsie

Bootsie

Thanks to both - time to my homework.

Happy Trading:D

6. faction

faction

Bootsie,

Tradestation is a fine product, capable of doing much. That being said, I wouldn't recommend it for stock scanning. The reason being is that Tradestation's datafeed is limited to the stocks you request. So, for example, if I have three open charts with INTL, MSFT, and AAPL, that is the data it streams to me, and no more. So, in order to scan for a particular stock, the software would have to make an individual request for each security. This is a comparibly slow procedure.

Rather, I would suggest looking into a software package that allows for a complete stream; that is, a stream that broadcasts all data to your server, not just for a particularly requested stock, but every stock. The package I am currently using is First Alert, produced by Neovest. Stock scanning is exactly what First Alert is designed to do. You can create as many scans as you would like, as complicated as you would like. First Alert is not perfect, but for stock scanning, I personally think it is unequalled.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

faction.

7. Bootsie

Bootsie

Thanks Faction,
    I'll check it out.

Cheers:)

8. Hitman

Hitman

Can you use TS without their brokerage service?

I looked all over their site and can't find any information.

9. I've wanted to use there software package, but Hitman, you have to open an account with them. I believe that there minimum is $25 or $35k. They do not license out their software in the US, trying to make more through there brokerage operations. Heard lots of good things about the software, only problem limited number of scans of the market allowed, can do every stock in the NASDAQ, only ones you select.

#10     Jan 13, 2002