Fighting the HFT algos... daytraders and floor traders vs. HFT traders

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by candletrader, Aug 28, 2010.

1. LEAPup

LEAPup

I'll say, there has to be a better way to get rid of the HFT's besides taxing transactions. None the less, they've gotta go!

2. I think it would be more profitable to exploit HFTs who attempt to exploit us i.e. a buy the low program kicks in is a chance to go long with the HFT for a quick scalp and then go short when the orderflow reaches an inflection point.... in effect you are making money twice, not just once...

3. The necessity to have to game them in order to not be outgamed by them...

4. Does the person running the HTF have less of a right to make a living in the market than you do? If you don't like how they operate, petition of your representative in government and ask them add some regulations. If your suggestions are fair and well minded, ie they prevent people from performing illegal actions, such as insider trading (trading on privileged knowledge) or front running, they might make it into law. I think the market should be fair for all participants. But that does not mean artificially handicapping someone who can out perform you. You'll never see the government come in and sanction Walmart to help small businesses, thats just not how a 'free market' society works.

5. If a select number of market participants could see market action 15 minutes before the majority, you would not deem that as fair...

HFTs don't quite get a 15 minutes headstart on us.... but a supercomputer running an HFT algorithm only needs a few milliseconds to front run orders in order to exploit the imminent market flow... GSCO has had about 1 day of losses on its HFT program over the last couple of years, with its 20 programmers generating enough $$$ to pay the salaries of 25% of the Goldman workforce... all down to low latency due to exchange co-location....

This is not fair...

6. I really do think that the only ways to counter the algos is
    1) to trade with them at key levels
    2) expand the time horizon and widen stops... but this f**ks up intraday R:R ratios...

#10     Aug 28, 2010