FIFO rule kills futures traders profits!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Ates, Nov 12, 2020.

1. steve2222

steve2222

#21     Nov 12, 2020
    studentofthemarkets likes this.
  2. bone

bone

#22     Nov 12, 2020
  3. steve2222

steve2222

Hi Bone, I'm not sure as I don't use an averaging in strategy so I am not making use of the 'Flat to Flat' functionality - I just knew it existed in the SC software.

My broker is AMP and I use the CQG datafeed with SC and the Trade Activity log works just fine for me.

#23     Nov 12, 2020
    bone likes this.
  4. Overnight

Overnight

Be glad you didn't get sucked into the grandfathered NinjaTrader/AMP plan with CQG. Journaling and trying to discern averaged trades like the OP is having a problem with can become a nightmare. But it keeps the brain flexible, so that's a plus, lol!

#24     Nov 12, 2020
  5. deaddog

deaddog

At the end of the trade you either make a profit or you don't. Accounting methods are not going to change that.

FIFO isn't killing your profit; if you are not making a profit it's your system or your trading.

#25     Nov 12, 2020
    maxinger likes this.
  6. NoahA

NoahA

I think though that this is exactly what he is trying to achieve. He wants to know where he needs to get out to be at least break even on the whole trade. It doesn't matter if you make $50 on the last contract if you lost $100 on the first.

#26     Nov 12, 2020
    Overnight likes this.
  7. If you hold overnight it can get really messy. I've woken up to "losses" a few times which were 'green' before bed time.

I'm not sure how fast your 'scalps' are and how many positions you use, but you could easily set up a spreadsheet in Excel which does your accounting manually.

If it's too fast to type in manually - maybe you could establish a direct link (DDE). Would be quite a bit more work, though, but everything is possible.

For me, this isn't a problem, so it's not something I've had the need to adress at this point.

#27     Nov 12, 2020
  8. Ates

Ates

Guys, we are not discussing or criticizing anyone's trades here. I'm basically talking about a problem i am facing.

How in the world a scalper can use Excel? I think the user who recommends me did not understand what i am talking about.

@bone i execute 100-150 trades per day. I know what i am doing and that fifo is really a pain. I use introduced broker as you said. What else can i do? Any advice appreciated.

#28     Nov 12, 2020
  9. Overnight

Overnight

Use AMP, they are a clearing FCM? See if that helps you.

#29     Nov 12, 2020
  10. Ates

Ates

Oh no! I never ever work with them again. I have tried them but anyways. I don't want to talk about this anymore.

#30     Nov 12, 2020