FFASTFILL Lower than IB??

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by bundtrader2, Nov 27, 2002.

1. What about speed of quotes updating and refreshing?

#41     Dec 5, 2002
  2. We've gone over this. There was a pissing match between IB and FF on ET which resulted in the posting of server logs. The turnaround time of the broker server seems to be around 15 milliseconds. Marketable orders get a fill back somewhere between 200 and 300 milliseconds. Most of the time needed to get a fill is the CME's GLOBEX platform itself and the second largest factor is your internet latency. There really isn't alot left to squeeze out of the broker's server.

#42     Dec 5, 2002
  3. Thanks for the reply. I did not know about this pissing match you speak of. I will do a search and see what has been posted in other threads.

#43     Dec 5, 2002
  4. #44     Dec 5, 2002
  5. Aaron

Aaron

Yeah...No noticeable difference in speed of online execution or quotes between IB and Ffastfill.

#45     Dec 5, 2002
  6. Speed of Quotes varies with each Trading System due to the fact that the CME delivers quotes at over 150 updates per second. If FFastTrade or IB did not throttle the number down, then there would be no stability. Example, most exchanges like the CBOT and Eurex only publish 1 update per second. This is another extreme, but they are much more stable than the CME.

I do not know how many updates per second that IB uses, but I am sure that Def would know. I have heard things, but don't know for sure. FFastTrade uses Citrix, because it allows us to update prices and depth at 4 to 10 times per second for the Eminis.

Not such a big deal, unless you miss a trade because it wasn't there.

Look at the old Pissing Match between Def and I (provided by Puffy gums). His log only shows the submission of an order, not the full execution of an order. I explained that but was told that he proved he was faster. No doubt he will jump in again!

There are many things to look at when evaluating a System:
    1. Cost (Round trip cost)
    2. Speed of execution (full turnaround time for a trade)
    3. Integrity of Quotes (Updates per second)
    4. Customer Service (Backup execution and service)

I like to think that we base our model on these things, but I probably will be told differently.

#46     Dec 5, 2002
  7. JohnMac

JohnMac

I've been using Citrix Metframe for a couple of years now and have even managed to get it running fine through a 10 kbps wireless lan running trading apps. I've never been very succesful with mobile phones though, probably due to the A/D D/A conversions.

With an ISDN line or DSL connection it runs real fast as it will adapt the speed of the line in real time. This is probably why it looks like its hogging bandwidth - it takes what it can get.

#47     Dec 6, 2002
  8. JOHNMAC..... can the system be traded with a regular 56k dialup modem or is high speed cable or dsl necessary???

#48     Dec 6, 2002
  9. Currently FFastTrade has avery large trader using a dialup form the Mountains of Colorado. He is trading Bonds and Notes though.

A dialup will work fine for CBOT and Eurex, but when the CME Minis update at unbelievable rates, it could be problematic. So far we have not had many complaints, but I would highly recommend DSL of Cable Modem. There is real money at stake and it would be prudent to pay an exttra $40 a month for DSL.

#49     Dec 16, 2002
  10. pjs

pjs

that trader in the mountains of colorado would be me. i have had no problems trading financial futures with a dialup. when i lived in illinois i used cable and have seen no appreciable difference.

#50     Dec 17, 2002