Fewer Postings after Website Redesign ?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by wirelessbull, Nov 11, 2001.

1. sallyboy

sallyboy Guest

Regardless of the number of postings, I like the new design. I especially like the ability to "Mark all forums read". That makes it handy to "reset" the boards. Then the next time I come back I can just see which threads have new content based on the "flag" right from the home page. The only time I have to go into a discussion page and list all topics (like for "Trading") is when all indicate new content, so I go there to make sure I can see all not just the 5 indicated on the home page. That feature really makes it easy to catch up quickly.

Just my 2¢

#11     Nov 14, 2001
  2. I especially like the ability to "Mark all forums read". That makes it handy to "reset" the boards. Then the next time I come back I can just see which threads have new content based on the "flag" right from the home page.

You don't have to reset the boards, the next time you come back all pages should show the 'updated thread' folder only next to threads that have been updated since your last visit.

In fact I'm not sure I understand what the 'mark all forums read' feature is for. It makes sense on discussion boards that do not mark forums read until you click on a link taking you to that forum, but on this site it seems like a useless feature.

Perhaps it should be removed :D

Removing elitetrader, one feature at a time,

voodoo

#12     Nov 15, 2001
  3. Magna

Magna Administrator

Have to agree with Voodoo, I've been trying to figure out what the "mark all forums read" feature is for. I suppose if you leave your browser running all day it would be a useful method to clear the air. But if you ever shut down your browser, in my experience, the forums are automatically marked.

#13     Nov 15, 2001
  4. sallyboy

sallyboy Guest

Now I see. I didn't realize that they were cleared when you leave and return.

I guess the "Mark All Forums Read" is there just in case you stay logged in.

#14     Nov 15, 2001
  5. It seems to me like there is a tendency to read and reply mostly to the posts showing on the home page and once a post drops down into the main list its chances of getting responses drops dramatically. This is why I liked the longer "hotlist" that we used to have. Am I just imagining this?

#15     Nov 28, 2001
  6. Magna

Magna Administrator

Nic,

I never thought of it, but you're right. With the exception of the Trading forum I just check out the top five displayed posts in each section. But I never seem to click the headings to expand their lists, other than Trading. With the old setup, besides the "master" new posts list, there was also a very useful Table of Contents, where a forum heading had a red folder if there was a new post(s), without the posts themselves being listed. I'd always click the forum heading if there was something new, and see a page full of that forum's threads because of it.

#16     Nov 28, 2001
  7. Turok

Turok

>This is why I liked the longer "hotlist" that we used
    >to have. Am I just imagining this?

I agree with you. There are many times I check in and all 5 of the trading threads show new entries and I have to go to the full list and manually check to see if those 5 pushed any new stuff off the front page.

I think a reasonable solution would be to limit some of the less popular catagories (Tools of the Trade, Derivatives, etc) to no more than two or three 'hot' threads on the home page and use that space for the more popular threads near the top (heck, it's not like space is at a premium -- you have to scroll to get to the derivatives anyway).

I'd like to see more like the latest 10 topics on the two more popular threads.

JB

PS: As always...great site Baron

#17     Dec 2, 2001