Few security tips on computer systems.

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by MrProfit, Oct 24, 2005.

1. But nothing on the other topics ......

Waiting for your research .....

#41     Oct 26, 2005
  2. If you want me to do your research for you then I will need to bill you at my standard rate.

#42     Oct 26, 2005
  3. No thanks. We have enough subcontactors asking us for business.

Still waiting for info .....:D

#43     Oct 26, 2005
  4. chisel

chisel

I have W2K Pro on both of my computers. Whenever I attempt to log into a user acct. that I created a few minutes before, I get these error msgs.:

"Windows cannot copy file C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Templates\wordpfct.wpg to location C:\Documents and Settings\*****\Templates\wordpfct.wpg. Contact your network administrator." The next error box reads: "Windows cannot log you on because the profile cannot be loaded. Contact your network administrator. DETAIL – The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

Those are my asterisks above. This is a Restricted User acct. that I'm trying to create and access since I've been using the administrator acct. so far.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

#44     Oct 27, 2005
  5. MR.NBBO

MR.NBBO

Winter, prt_systems-- hang it up guys. Thanks to EVERYONE for all the odd's n' ends security ideas and input. You've all contributed, just keep it clean.

--NBBO

#45     Oct 27, 2005
  6. for some reason I cannot locate the "advanced" tab in user accounts....i have microsoft xp professional sp2...anybody have some advise here?

#46     Oct 27, 2005
  7. ntfs

ntfs

For Windows 2000 security info try searching here

http://www.nsa.gov/search/

Type in Windows 2000

If its good enuf for the nsa it should be good enuf for you!

nt

#47     Oct 27, 2005
  8. EliteEd

EliteEd

I only read through some of the responses....not all. But, did anyone mention the difference between wireless and hard wired routers? Is there a significant security issue with wireless routers. I have also heard of wireless routers kicking off line when the home phone rings. Any other thoughts?

#48     Oct 28, 2005
  9. TWMPMM

TWMPMM

Most wireless routers use the 2.4Ghz spectrum same as many cordless phones. If there's a problem you could stick to 900Mhz or 5.8Ghz phones and you should be fine.
    Here's link on some security stuff: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309369

#49     Oct 28, 2005
  10. Any wireless signal can be intercepted. With a wireless router the signal is not too strong, so the interception range is not very far. Plus they would have to be able to decode it. If you are living in an apartment building in a busy area, it may be a concern.

Hardwired routers are faster. So what you give up in ease of installation, you lose in speed. I have everything hardwired. Its not too hard, just takes some time.

#50     Oct 29, 2005