Few security tips on computer systems.

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by MrProfit, Oct 24, 2005.

1. #31     Oct 26, 2005
  2. I just told you it is simple and possible to do this: I did not say I have proved it.

If you want to prove a negative: that this has never been done in greyscale, non laser printers then I encourage you to do so .... when you complete your task report back to us with your findings. Until then we will just have to acknowledge that it is possible ...

#32     Oct 26, 2005
  3. If you are asking if I have written or been the victim of either a Windows or Linux fake login app then then answer is no. That doesnt mean that Linux does not have the same issue as Windows in that regard.

#33     Oct 26, 2005
  4. So, on a properly configured box do you have any statistics as to how often this occurs and some insight on if it is possible - on a locked down box ?

#34     Oct 26, 2005
  5. Nor do I say that you did. The OP did however say it unequivocally and that is who I am questioning.

Lots of things are possible, when someone makes the claim that "All modern printers have a special coding system to locate a source of a printout." then I feel that the burden of proof is on them to provide some evidence of the claim. I do not consider the fact that it is technically possible to do it to be proof that it has been done to all modern printers.

#35     Oct 26, 2005
  6. Yes they didn't prove it, but as far as i know it is possible. Unless you want to do the research to prove the negative then I guess you've beaten this dog to death ....

And as far as security goes there are lots of things that COULD happen on an IMPROPERLY configured box or network but the untold story is that if people know what they are doing then these types of things just dont happen .... statistically near zero.

#36     Oct 26, 2005
  7. You have a very interesting discussion style. You attempted to recharacterize my position on the printer issue as "it is not possible" even though I never even remotely said anything like that. And you still seem to clinge to the idea that there is some burden of proof on me to prove a negative. The statement is that all modern printers have these secret codes. If I find one modern printer that does not then I have proven that the statement is false.

Then you use the reverse logic that unless I can prove that someone can write and successfully use a fake login app that they don't exist. And of course you start throwing in vague qualifiers like "properly configured" (according to who?) and "if people know what they are doing" (what if they dont?).

Get a grip.

#37     Oct 26, 2005
  8. Well, you have proven nothing and added nothing to the discussion.

You get a grip.

#38     Oct 26, 2005
  9. I explained why Microsoft recommends ctrl-alt-delete to login to Windows.

Now what have you added?

Oh yea, the flip comment to use Linux instead, with the implication that Linux doesn't have that issue when in fact Linux is just as vulnerable to that form of attack as Windows.

#39     Oct 26, 2005
  10. :cool:

#40     Oct 26, 2005