Few rookie IB + API questions

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by napa, Mar 13, 2006.

1. alanm

alanm

Reality is that, for their own reasons, IB is stingy with their quotes. That's not likely to change much, though they've loosened up a lot.

In another thread, someone mentioned RealTick accommodating 3499 tickers, L2 windows, etc. I'm definitely going to be looking there again (haven't used it in years, but liked it at the time).

#11     Mar 15, 2006
  2. The 50 messages per second is the "true" limit you'll hit with 100 symbols. If you count Bid/ASK/last,volume updates plus orders you'll have a tough time tracking more than 30 symbols.

Within that constraint, it works extremely well.

#12     Mar 15, 2006
  3. Hoi

Hoi

Sorry but you are ALL wrong!
    The 50 messages is for SENDING message (Orders etc) to IB through the API, not for receiving Quotes (they are only limited by the snapshot frequency, which gives you realtime quotes of any ticker you are allowed to subscribe {which might be many more than 100 symbols {I have currently 225 symbols}).

#13     Mar 16, 2006
  4. That is quite correct. For example, I have had no problem with real time quotes simultaneouly for all the components of the Nasdaq 100 via the API.

#14     Mar 16, 2006
  5. It seems like IB still limits market depth requests to 3 symbols at a time. Which makes it slightly useless for most automated systems whos purpose is to run over more symbols than humans can. Anyone have any experience solving this limitation? Is there a cheap data service you would suggest for API applications? Maybe eSignal or something.

#15     Oct 16, 2007
  6. to IB SUPPORT:

currently I have an IB account and route all my orders through your API, however I'm switching over to genesis securities due to the fact that I can get a rate of .002 rather than .013 at IB. I understand that I have the option of routing through smart, to get .005, but with ARCA now paying .25 / 100 if you provide it kills me when my orders are routed to NYSE.

Is there anyway around this? or will IB become a past?

#16     Oct 16, 2007
  7. If you need to route to specific exchanges, IB is just not competitive. As far as I can tell, Genesis is the best choice.

I use IB/SMART for ~2000 orders/day - all API generated. In my experience SMART is fairly good, and probably as good/fast as anything i could do "at home", if i take messaging delays into account.

#17     Oct 16, 2007
  8. Janed

Janed

What do you mean by free service? I went to set it up and it says the minimum monthly fees are $100 and $500 one time set up fee!

#18     Oct 17, 2007