Feeding the slot machine all day

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by chessman, May 30, 2003.

1. Haas

Haas

are a good way to keep your mind sharp and keep from getting bored during slow times for swing traders. You can play around with new strategies and try out different things on a scale that will not meaningfully impact your account.

I used to trade 100 share lots during the slow times back when my main trading technique kept me out of the markets during much of the day. I found that it kept my mind in the markets so that I was ready to move when things set up for my 'real trades'. I never stumbled upon a great new methodology doing this, but I think it was productive for me.

#11     May 30, 2003
  2. nitro

nitro

I bought a slot machine and put quarters in the slot.

nitro

#12     May 30, 2003
  3. LOL!! :D

And since you own the machine, you can empty it out everyday and start again!!

PEG LEG

#13     May 30, 2003
  4. Banjo

Banjo

Nitro, lmao.

#14     May 30, 2003
  5. gms

gms

But that's taught to us by people who work hard 10 hours a day.

#15     May 30, 2003
  6. Flipping the mouse pointer back and forth across this page is usually better than watching the market all day. I don't think it'll fill 6 or 7 hours of idle time, but it's almost always good for a few minutes :D

http://www.fhm.com/img/reporter/bigeye/15aug/boobs.swf

#16     May 30, 2003
  7. And I have learned that many things I was taught are wrong. :p You earn respect (or you demand respect) if you work long hours. But for most headworkers this is not true, the efficiency is only there for a couple of hours. And even the work of craftsmen deteriorates if they work too long hours (but they are smarter than the headworkers because they stop working if they are tired.)

I wish I had your problem. :) How about a hobby? Work in the garden, do some handicrafts...
    Things you do with your hands are very rewarding.

Reading and playing chess mainly uses your brain and your eyes, the same as in trading. How about the rest of your body?

Until now I've been trading in parallel to my day job. When the simulation is running, I had time to look at the markets. But there are two problems:
    1.) What if the market requires some action and I can't act because im sidetracked by a meeting?
    2.) If the job is boring I start fiddling around in the market. (Very expensive)

My solution is: I either trade very long term (e.g. this long EUR/USD trend we have now) or very short term: No open mid-term positions (several days) when the markets can't have top priority. I either sit in front of the screen and wait for signals or I do something else. And since the good opportunities are 2 hourse after market opening and 2 hours before close there is no need to watch the chart the rest of the time.
    I was wondering for a long time what "adjusting your system to your personality" exactly means.
    Handling the idle time is the main part of it.

#17     May 30, 2003
  8. A short list:

1. Workout - This takes care of about 1-2 hours for 1-3 days a week. You'll be jacked and wealthy if all goes well.

2. Buy a pool table &/or dartboard. Leagues at night, practice during the day. You may even win some tournaments after a while. And: you'll have honed the third and fourth most important 'bar' skills. (Optional)

3. Practice yoga. Get a good stretch on.

4. Study kama sutra.

These things can all be done while trading and watching the ticker. More importantly, they all serve a better end. With these talents, and others not mentioned, you can then begin culling a list of 5-10 women with whom you will spend your days trading. Step 4 should ensure you'll be occupied for the duration of the market day.

#18     May 30, 2003
  9. bubba7

bubba7

I find that the intraday thing is attractive; I know you don't. Still the middle of the day is a quiet time anyway.

I'm using about 6 tons of rock to make a waterfall along my pool now. It is funny to say but I do get a kick out of the sounds, flows and how to lay out stone and cut it to make something that changes the pool area here and there.

regards,

jack hershey

#19     May 30, 2003
  10. I've read somewhere that daytrading is like playing a videogame at level nine before you've sucessfully completed the previous levels. If you can make money almost everyday daytrading, then you're a real expert trader.
    I think beginners should definatly start off swing trading (a few trades a week) - it really helps you understand trend formation and dissipation. As far as what you do in spare time while swing trading, definatly don't stay by your computer, if you do then do research. I recommend physical exercise especially hatha yoga as it will definatly energize and calm down your central nervous system.

#20     May 30, 2003