Feedback

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by 931, Aug 9, 2020.

1. 931

Where is the line between disallowed and allowed comments?

Since my comments got removed I'm wondering what is the reasoning behind those actions.

What does "anti-semetic" mean to you, while marking it as the reason for removal?

If someone is posting some points relating jewish people to banking industry in order to be proven otherwise by others, is this wrong?

If so ,Why?

TBH I'm interested in learning more about various jewish cultures.
    But if the messages get removed how can anyone comment?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  2. Maybe fewer feathers would be ruffled if you posted comments or questions about Jewish culture on a forum dedicated to the subject, instead of on ET?

Just a guess, but on most discussion forums, for a post to be removed because it is offensive, someone has to report it as offensive or else it usually stands. And so, I am thinking if your post was removed, and again just guessing, that some person or persons found it to be offensive. Offensive is generally regarded to be in the eye of the offended. To be safe, it might be best to simply not make cultural or racial references of any sort except in threads where it is actually the topic being discussed. It distracts from the topic, anyway.

wrbtrader and 931 like this.
  3. 931

I thought banking industry is part of some jewish cultures.

Thats why it appeared to be wise commenting on financial forum.
    To get corrected with alternative info or strengthen the opinion.

For example when viewing credit card servers as automated donation machines and considering jewish people dominant force in banking industry.

The response was something like "You antisemetic-scum don't you know what you are doing?"

Of course that is interesting perspective, But it didn't trigger my reaction to use the report button to report anti-anti-semitism, as i do not consider the comments anti-semitism.

Has banking industry become something to be ashamed of?

4. Well, whether statistically right or wrong, you are playing up a stereotype. Why not just drop all racial or ethnic references except where they are actually on topic? That would be the safe path, I think.

wrbtrader likes this.
  5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

It's the context of the overall message post. Thus, you can't just isolate one word or one sentence and then get upset if that one word or one sentence is censored.

By the way, I think I was part of the thread you're talking about. The thread itself was not offensive, racist nor bigotry. In contrast, a few commentary by you that had nothing to do with the context of the thread...that commentary by you was offensive, hatred, racist but that's my opinion although I did not report your message post.

With that said, here's a warning, if the forum owner is of Jewish heritage or the moderator is of Jewish heritage...they will obviously be offended. This is their forum and you may want to learn a little about the owners or moderators before posting comments like that.

The other issue as mention...the context the comments occurred within. It dictates what's being stated. Simply, you can say the same thing without being racist / bigot or you can change how you wrote it so that's its bigotry / racist.

For example...which of the below comments may be racist:
    • Jewish people are the 4th largest ethnicity group in the banking industry.
    • Banking industry is full of Jews
    • Don't trust the banking industry because its run by the Jews
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know which of the above commentary are racist. Here's the context...pretend the thread title was "What's wrong with the Banking Industry" versus another thread title like "What ethnicity / religion does the Banking industry attracts the most ?"

Answer - Hindus are the most educated and many parents encourage their kids to study economics, finance, business in college.

Maybe the answer would have been different in the 1930's - 1940's in another country. :D

P.S. You may want to research the heritage of any forum owner before making any derogatory ethnicity commentary at their forum in which you're technically just a guest.

Tip: People post comments like that in the Politics threads. It could be a safe place for you to hang out. :D

wrbtrader

6. 931

True, mentioned only first and last post that was memorized as related to this.

Not all jewish people might be in finance , I’m not assuming that. If moderators and keepers of the forum are jewish people, forum relates them to financial industry IMO.

Seems to be decent place to post finance related comments, as it could give more accurate insight or disproving to some points.

If somewhere are mentions of banking , high-interest or something is priced much higher than its production costs etc. then adding the J word is something commonly known as a joke. I think there is some truth to it but its not full truth.

No matter the ethnic group,IMO human nature is quite similar overall, jewish people are not dumb people.

Credit card servers are like automated donation machines IMO.
    Can I say I know full details of how such systems operate? NO.
    I have filled the blanks based on available info.

And IMO overall the forum contains lot of comments with half truth.

IMO everything that people do is connected to human nature. And various characters, various ethnic groups have various ways of life.

I see not harm in discussing various aspects of life.

Sometimes more directed comments bring better responses and start argumentation sequence.