Fed up with Tradestation

Discussion in 'Economics' started by chinook, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Eddy,

Thanks for the link but I don't see any scripting language capabilities in linsoft. It looks like I can somewhat custimize indicators but doesn't have the flexibility of TS, ESignal or NeoTicker.

Thanks.
    [/QUOTE]

Chinook,

I use IRT but not much of the RTL language. Check out this link though. It may be what your talking about.

http://www.linnsoft.com/tour/scanElems.htm

#31     Jul 23, 2003
  2. Ebo

Ebo

I am still waiting for response for TradeStation's Response?
    What really happened?
    What is being done to fix the Memory loss?

#32     Jul 23, 2003
  3. Eddy

Eddy

Chinook,
    as a former TS and Ensign users, that's was my first reaction too.. But some unique IRT indicators are there in order to balance for the lack of an advanced scripting language (some basic features exists as Resinate just pointed out) so that you get a lot of flexibility in trading system representation...

For example, the MPD (mixed periodicity data) indicator will be able to perform exactly what the TS Pushpop dll would do (and without a single line of script needed)
    Let's say I have an ES 3 minute charts, and I want to know how many time I had a MACD cross on my NQ 120 tick charts during the duration of my 3 min ES bars... Using a single MPD setup window, you may add on an ES charts such an histogram showing the number of 120 t NQ MACD cross for each ES 3 min bars (or the event count of whatever other trading signals..)

Another example : I could add a SELL signal marker to a 30 seconds ES charts which will only appear as soon as I have a 10 bars break on my 25 tick NQ charts... Of course, I could filter the signal and let only let him trigger if :
    1) the current ES tick velocity (nb of ES tick per minute) is above its 5 minute moving average
    2) a double top is detected on a 2 minute ES bar charts (a double top custom indicator can be very easily created using the Signal Statistic indicator)
    3) a 1 min Three line bar break occurred (within the 3 last minutes) for at least on one of my 5 major mkt indexes..
    4a) i had a NYSE TICK down move of at least 75 pt for the 30 seconds minute...
    OR
    4b) among my 20 favorites NYSE/Naz stocks, at least 7 already had experienced a 5 bar breakout

Ok, don't pay attention to the exact trading strategy elements parameters I mentioned, this is just to illustrate that :
    => knowing that you may embed in several depth level signals and custom indicators from different charts symbols/timeframes,
    => and that each of these signal / custom indicators might use some :
    1) Signal Statistics (SSTAT) indicators (http://www.linnsoft.com/tour/techind/sstat.htm)
    2) Mixed periodicity data indicators (http://www.linnsoft.com/tour/techind/mpd.htm)
    you may follow in realtime quite some complex trading system representation with IRT...

I think I would need few minutes to set up a 30 seconds ES charts with the SELL signal and filters as detailed just above.
    I am sure such a signal could be represented using Ensign, Neoticker or TS, but you better have good programming capabilities... And not sure you will be able to get a chart ready within 5 minutes...
    Of course, you might have some issues with IRT implementing in realtime some walk forwarding strategies or some complex strategies including iterative loops calculations, but my experience is that IRT is able to manage efficiently the representation of a vast majority of the usual trading strategies..

Eddy

#33     Jul 23, 2003
  4. Jay,

Thanks for clarification. I see it now.

#34     Jul 23, 2003
  5. maxpi

maxpi

Tradestation's data for stocks is second tier. They get it from SP Comstock same as quote.com. Until they are getting their data directly from the exchanges I'm not going anywhere near them for trading. They get their data from the exchanges for some products but not stocks.

I'm using TS2000 currently with Esignal data because Esignal is a first tier data provider and by all indications there is not a better software package available for what I do.

Max

#35     Jul 23, 2003
  6. Duker

Duker

As a TS user since the SystemWriter days I have slowly weaned myself from TS. I use wealth-lab for system testing and development but Investor R/T for all charting and indicator applications. As Eddy mentioned the use of MPD in charts was the last thing I needed to shelve push/pop and abandodn TS.

As for a scripting language, IRT does have a SDK which you can use to easily incorporate whatever dll's or external data streams you wish. Th program is quite flexible.

Last but not least the term customer service is not a unique phrase to Investor R/T as it is to TS.

:) :)

#36     Jul 23, 2003
  7. Eddy,

Thanks for clarification. Still. I would prefer a scrpting language like Visual Basic. So far I like what Neoticker offers:

1) Choice of data vendors
    2) Choice of scripting languages including VB
    3) flexible charting:mixing tick bars with time based bars

The only thing I'm not sure is about its historical back testing.

I like using volume based bars and mixing them with time based bars in the same chart. I do this in TS using PushPop but the data is not well syncronized. Neoticker doesn't have volume based bars but it's in the wish list. E-signal has volume based bars but you can't mix them with time-based charts.

So far Neoticker is my favorite.

Thanks everyone for their feedbacks and comments.

#37     Jul 23, 2003
  8. Ebo ,

Good luck to us TS users. We might have to wait for a long time. I think they really screwed up big time this time and they are trying to cover up by blaming comstock wron time stamp and Bell South Network outage.

#38     Jul 23, 2003
  9. lhclin

lhclin TickQuest

You can use a feature call gheap in NeoTicker to communicate
    variables between different indicators (in different charts/quote
    windows/scanners).

Gheap is like shared memory. It is not a event sending
    scheme.

#39     Jul 23, 2003
  10. JayF_eSignal

JayF_eSignal eSignal

Just to throw in another 2 cents, eSignal now offers an ActiveX interface, so that our data can be integrated with a VB, C++, Java, Python, etc. More information about this can be found at http://www.esignal.com/esignal/features/activex/

#40     Jul 23, 2003