Fed up with Tradestation

Discussion in 'Economics' started by chinook, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Kermit

Kermit

Nitro:

What has been your experience with Dynastore and TS2kI’s Global Server in terms of it’s reliability and stability during high volume/fast market scenarios in the past? I know you use IQFeed, but I understand eSignal is also compatible. You also mentioned filtration of bad ticks. Is that something that’s handled by Dynastore if IQFeed (or eSignal) happens to pump a few of them over? Are bad ticks frequent enough to cause you problems? Thanks in advance.

Kermit

#21     Jul 22, 2003
  2. so I checked out most of the Neoticker website. Two features that really jump out at me are the ability to mix tick and time based bars in the same window. Also, the fact that it drills down to seconds is very very cool. WOW, lets you script in VBScript and
    Javascript as well. System portfolio testing. Dude.

I think I may demo the product. At first glance, I'm hesitant about the differences in how things are done compared to TS, but this is unfounded anxiety, I'm sure.

Did you get sufficient help and support learning their language? From reading the manual, the spoon fed features look sparse. For instance instead of having all sorts of properties dialogs boxes, tabs, check boxes, performance report menu options etc.... it looks like this is all set and requested in the strategy code. Cleaner, and more logical I think. It looks like it's literally just a charting platform where all the specifics are written in your code. I'm assuming you can script and plot any indicator you could think of and it could be based on as many symbols and windows as you want?

Can I ask which of these features WL doesn't also have?

#22     Jul 22, 2003
  3. Wow I haven't noticed mixing of tick and and time based bars in the same chart in Neoticker! I have to use Dlls and bend backwards to be able to do that in TS!

#23     Jul 23, 2003
  4. nitro

nitro

Kermit,

This setup is VERY fragile when it goes bad. For example, if IQFeed disconnects you, for some reason Dynastore goes haywire [I think it is DS that jumps the rails.] This doesn't happen often, but if it does, the time to reboot the computer and get going again is a major pain, to say nothing of the fact that your charts now have a gap in them.

In addition, the Global Server, as you may be aware, is something of a joke when it comes to stability, and sometimes crashes. The sad part is that, when it does, there is no way to backfill automatically even though IQFeed supports it - this is because GS does not support backfilling - what a shame...

Finally, inspite of all the above problems, they rarely happen to me [knock on wood.] However, the bad tick problem really screws me up. AFAIK, there is no way to filter bad ticks either in GS or in Dynastore :mad:

I have come to live with these problems until I can find a piece of software that does everything I need it to do...

nitro

#24     Jul 23, 2003
  5. Splat

Splat

Yet no reply from Tradestation reps here on Elitetrader!! Maybe
    they agree with this thread too!

Splat

#25     Jul 23, 2003
  6. Splat

Splat

I noticed strange problems the other day after I signed
    upto Radarscreen. Tradestation keeps hanging when I bring
    up a chart. Either I have to wait several minutes for TS to
    'come back' or I have to kill it and restart. Also radarscreen hangs.
    Admittedly I do have about 230 stocks which is a lot of stocks
    but they claim that Radarscreen works with upto
    1000 stocks.

The other thing I was very disappointed with is that TS
    doesnt allow you short certain stocks. e.g. SOHU or SINA.
    They claim the stocks are 'hard to borrow' yet I know other
    people have been shorthing them with other brokers.
    Believe me I was extremely pissed the other day.

Regards,

Splat

#26     Jul 23, 2003
  7. Eddy

Eddy

Chinook,
    did you have a look to Investor RT from www.linnsoft.com ? It provides some easy way to write your own custom indicators.
    Check out the Part III of the IRT/Ninjatrader automated trading tutorial at www.linnsoft.com/autotrading/ to have some concrete examples on how to write custom indicators (and implement them as an automated trading strategy)...

Eddy

#27     Jul 23, 2003
  8. Kermit

Kermit

Nitro, thanks for the info. I was under the impression that Dynastore was capable of performing the backfill (since GS isn’t) in order to eliminate gaps on the chart when interruptions like reboots occur and keep the data continuous just like TradeStation 7.x. Perhaps it’s just with IQFeed? Wonder how it is when interfacing with eSignal.

Kermit

#28     Jul 23, 2003
  9. Eddy,

Thanks for the link but I don't see any scripting language capabilities in linsoft. It looks like I can somewhat custimize indicators but doesn't have the flexibility of TS, ESignal or NeoTicker.

Thanks.

#29     Jul 23, 2003
  10. JayF_eSignal

JayF_eSignal eSignal

I believe there is some confusion here. eSignal has had and will continue to have direct feeds from every U.S. domestic exchange. With the recent acquistion of Comstock by our parent company Interactive Data Corporation, we plan on extending our international exchange offerings.

Please know we have no plans on changing the direct feeds we currently carry.

#30     Jul 23, 2003