Fed might make symbolic Emergency Rate HIKE

Discussion in 'Economics' started by The Kin, May 9, 2008.

1. Tums

Tums

Don't be naive, the only way to retire the national debt is to let US$ par with peso or yen. LOL
    The worst is yet to come.

Go study Italian economic history; it might shed some light on what to expect.

#21     Jun 26, 2008
  2. bdon

bdon

Its only sad because its taken this long for people to realize that the economy is bad. The first time the fed lowered interest rates everyone should have read the writing on the wall, but we get these stupid bounces while Goldman and the boys unload into the retail CNBC sheep who actually think the first few fed moves are a sign to buy. Sheep to the slaughter. If and when The cycle turns and the fed can raise interest rates they will panic sell as well, we've seen it all before, just in the last 10 years and yet the sheep still chase their CNBC shepard.

Holla Hedgefundtrader8475 and stocktrader_3

#22     Jun 26, 2008
  3. offbyone

offbyone

The most curious question right now is what will the fed do. They have been reacting to every single recent market shock by either a rate cut or a sudden injection of liquidity into the markets.

The market tanking 3% today certainly qualifies for a reaction if we base the "fed panic trigger" off of the recent past. So what will they do?

It is hard to say. It seems that as they have now further and further exposed their own balance sheet and also the dollar with the current rates that any move they make could be dangerous.

They have backed themselves into a tight corner, it will be interesting to see how this plays out and who they make into the scapegoat.

#23     Jun 26, 2008
  4. Fed will probably increase TAF auction from 150 to 200 billion.

#24     Jun 26, 2008
  5. I don't want to be a sourpuss but NO WAY FED IS DONE
    DONE DONE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope I am wrong, and they come to the rescue
    but I do not think I am

Dollar is soooooooooo weeeeeeeek it is what driving up
    OIL and everythind else peged to it

THERE HANDS ARE TIED

Q: Hey ben will you help out

A: Sorry I would if I could but I cant

Q: But why Ben

A: I have done to much already and the cycle has to play out
    the way it always does

END:

#25     Jun 26, 2008
  6. Kudlow actually wants fed hikes.

Can you believe it?

Even people as obtuse as Kudlow understand Bernanke is ruining the U.S. economy, stoking inflation, and doing nothing for financials with his idiotic fed funds rate.

A move toward a strong dollar would truly do some good.

Bernanke is truly one crazy bastard.

#26     Jun 26, 2008
  7. offbyone

offbyone

What is interesting is that the fed actually made a big drain today.

#27     Jun 26, 2008
  8. You mean by the bond issuance??

#28     Jun 26, 2008
  9. S2007S

S2007S

Watching it now, he wants rate cuts to prop the dollar higher....

Too funny, he was looking for major rate cuts only a few months ago.

Im also laughing because Arthur Laffer is on kudlow as usual and he seems less bullish then I have ever seen him before, pretty funny because everytime he is on kudlow he is more bullish than ever, he has been way wrong.

#29     Jun 26, 2008
  10. piezoe

piezoe

The weak dollar, inflation, and the price of crude are only symptoms. Bringing down the price of crude, will bring temporary euphoria, but it won't solve the fundamental problem which is fiscal, not monetary.

If we want a permanent solution we will need to drastically reduce spending on wasting assets (bombs), and assets with poor returns (prisons) and start investing (education, infrastructure, health).

#30     Jun 26, 2008