Fed lost control of Effective Fed Funds

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by Daal, Oct 29, 2008.

1. #11     Nov 5, 2008
  2. Daal

Daal

not sure what you mean. the front contract sold off all the others rallied, I guess they didnt lost control over the effective they were just too scared to hike :p

#12     Nov 5, 2008
  3. 1) Translate that into "English".
    2) The November and December contracts got too far ahead of themselves? There can be an expectation that the rate will remain below the target for the rest of this year but the 2009 contracts will stay closer to the actual target rate.....for now.
    3) Will the Fed "stick to its guns" or be a slave to the market? We'll see. :confused:

#13     Nov 5, 2008
  4. Wow...interesting..
    I wonder if this is going to be a blowoff top for the long end of the curve...???

#14     Nov 5, 2008
  5. Daal

Daal

I hope for slavery. Bernanke at the dec meeting could deliver me a nice christmas gift!

#15     Nov 5, 2008
  6. Don't hope. Today had to have been a top. Sell out at-the-market tomorrow. :D

#16     Nov 5, 2008
  7. Daal

Daal

this time is different, interest rates are going to -36000%

#17     Nov 5, 2008
  8. Daal

Daal

0.23% yesterday even after the bank interest hike!
    this could be due the FDIC interbank guarantee program. a bank can pay .75bps to the fdic and get a loan backed by the government and be able to borrow at close to the ultra short-term t-bill rate(its an overnight loan after all)
    Its possible that the entire fed funds future curve is underpriced here and fortunes can be made if this liquidity trap is not solved so I will stick with longs here

#18     Nov 7, 2008
  9. #19     Nov 9, 2008
  10. Daal

Daal

if they lower the insurance then deferred fed futures just wont be a home run, if they fail to contain these and coming issues then the EFF should be close to zero for months maybe years. plus the target should continue to come down anyway

#20     Nov 10, 2008