Fed is buying treasuries

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by RiceRocket, Mar 18, 2009.

1. +1

Mortgage rates don't matter, we're going to see 15% headline unemployment and people won't be able to pay their mortgages no matter how low the rates are. This service economy is fubared.

These RE valuations were never worth anywhere near these crazy-top-of-the-bubble-valuations.

#11     Mar 18, 2009
  2. Random. What is your solution to this mess? I'm interested in what you have to say.

#12     Mar 18, 2009
  3. I think it also has to do with the weak TIC data recently. There simply wasn't enough foreign demand for longer term paper to soak up the massive amount of new borrowing in the pipeline, at least without weakness/higher rates. This idea of marketing it under improving liquidity and lowering the yield curve could just be a cover for "we don't have enough foreign buyers at these levels, so we have no other choice than to self-fund/print to maintain current rates."

#13     Mar 18, 2009
  4. Mortgage rates are down BECAUSE the Fed has been buying treasuries. They have been buying them for quite a while now. The other programs working??? Are you kidding?

Had they let the big, crappy, criminal banks (fraud used to be illegal) go bankrupt we would be out of this whole mess already. The only solution is to Nationalize them or let them go under. I'm not sure which of these would be worse. But what they have done so far is the worst possible action they could have taken.

#14     Mar 18, 2009
  5. Allerdings Scheisse !

#15     Mar 18, 2009
  6. TALF hasn't actually started yet, so it can't be working yet. Looks like it's gonna be a bit more difficult than it seemed also.

#16     Mar 18, 2009
  7. eagle

eagle

Sounding as a good solution. The third world war won't be using destructive weapon but rather using financial weapon as arm forces.

#17     Mar 18, 2009
  8. dhpar

dhpar

where do you see that fed was buying treasuries? last time i checked (1 month ago) they were buying exactly "nada".

do you even know where to look it up?

#18     Mar 18, 2009
  9. so what to do? buy CHF/USD?

I feel like the fed & treaury are purposefully screwing my savings account.

Seriously, what do you do with your savings???

#19     Mar 18, 2009
  10. The Cayman Islands is a huge buyer of these. crikey...

http://www.ustreas.gov/tic/snetus.txt

#20     Mar 18, 2009