Fed Acts to Stem Credit Turmoil

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Businessman, Aug 10, 2007.

1. But let's remember that they are 3 day repos. Not permanent by any means.

This is why people like Wayne Angell are pushing for a .25 to .50 point rate decrease.

#21     Aug 10, 2007
  2. kashirin

kashirin

Those repos were given for worthless CDOs. It's bailing out. I'm in serious doubt those repos will be given back

#22     Aug 10, 2007
  3. Fed in fall bailout mode.

Temporary Open Market Operations

Temporary Open Market Operations for August 10, 2007
    Last Updated: August 10, 2007 1:53 PM
    Number of Operations Today: 3

http://www.newyorkfed.org/markets/omo/dmm/temp.cfm

Billions of 3 day MBOs .....MBOs=CDOs=ZILCH=SQUAT=BAILOUT

#23     Aug 10, 2007
  4. una11

una11

Why is everyone so surprised over this!?!??!

#24     Aug 10, 2007
  5. Surprised? No. Pissed yes....FED has bailed out organizations that shouldn't have lent a dime to start with....including the bankers on Wall Street.

My local bank uses the traditional model of lending by using customer deposits, such as CDs and then lending out as mortgages. Also local bank holds the mortgage.. they don't act as a broker and try to sell them.

I forgot to mention before they lend a dime they expect you to have 20% equity, job, SSN, and documented income for the last three years.

FED today just provided a $38billion 3 day loan to the banks on MBOs that were mostly issued as "no documentation required". By doing so the FED has essentially provide the same "no documentation required" to Wall Street.

#25     Aug 10, 2007
  6. btw, the fed lets its preferred banks engage in physical transaction of commodities when the price action doesn't suit its inflation models or has the potential to screw up the works.....

when Greenspan repeatedly bitched about natural gas price above $10 MMBTU (read this as a select group of futures traders gunning the market), the Fed lets Morgan go up against them

sound familiar gold traders???

why is an investment bank allowed by decree to dick around in a single energy contract

http://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/Press/orders/2005/20051118/attachment.pdf

shortly after this decree, spot nat gas dropped 50%

#26     Aug 11, 2007
  7. MattF

MattF

prop up those who'll repay the favor.

2 days; I just hope they don't keep doing this "as needed" over the next week or 2.

#27     Aug 11, 2007
  8. No surprise.

I bought gold miner calls in the am before they announced it while everything was being creamed.

You saw what the Japan and the ECB did overnight. You knew the market would end up down 400 or 500 points if the Fed did nothing, setting up monday for a 1987 repeat.

What were they going to do?

Nothing?

Of course not. They did the same thing the ECB and Japan did. If you bought gold or miners you made out.

Ok, now what would you guess they do next time?

That's why I like gold and miners. They can't just print more gold.

#28     Aug 11, 2007
  9. promagma

promagma

The worthless CDOs are just collateral .... the banks have to pay the money back, right?

#29     Aug 11, 2007
  10. Payback due in 3 days.
    But they can default, too, which might be better for them than holding the CDOs.

#30     Aug 11, 2007