FEC reviewing whether NRA accepted illegal Russian donations in 2016

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Slartibartfast, Mar 18, 2018.

1. http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...gation-into-nra-campaign-funds-after-democrat

The NRA spent a record amount on 2016 elections, including $21 million to back Trump and $14 million to attack Hillary Clinton. NBC's numbers.

"The Federal Election Commission (FEC) has reportedly opened a preliminary probe into whether the National Rifle Association (NRA) took illegal contributions from Russian entities aimed at benefiting President Trump's 2016 campaign.

The review was triggered in part after the American Democracy Legal Fund (ADLF), a liberal advocacy group, filed an FEC complaint urging the commission to probe whether money from foreign nationals was aimed at helping the Trump campaign, Politico reports.

The NRA and its lobbying arm spent $30 million in the 2016 election to support Trump. A spokesman for the gun rights group declined to comment to Politico about the FEC probe.

The ADLF's complaint cites reports that a Russian banker linked to Russian President Vladimir Putin may have tried to influence the election through donations to the gun lobby.

While the FEC declined to confirm to Politico that it had opened a preliminary probe, it reportedly sent confirmation to ADLF treasurer Brad Woodhouse.

In its current stage, the investigation will likely require the NRA to provide the FEC with its campaign finance records from 2016 onwards.

Sources familiar with the probe told Politico that officials could launch a full-blown investigation, move to impose fines or potentially make criminal referrals depending on what FEC lawyers and investigators find.

The probe follows a request from Sen. Ron Wyden (Ore.), the top Democrat on the Senate Finance Committee, for the NRA to provide campaign finance documents following reports of an FBI probe into the Russian banker's activity.

Wyden asked the NRA to provide any donations or contributions accepted from any Russian official or operative.

Special counsel Robert Mueller is currently leading an investigation into whether Trump campaign associates colluded with Russia to influence the election, as well as probing Russia's broader state-backed efforts to interfere in the election. "

Tony Stark likes this.
  2. Can’t wait for there to be an investigation into the Democrats source of campaign contributions.

It would not suprise me if the majority of their funding come from foreign entities.

One can look in craigslist.org under jobs>nonprofit and see lots of Leftist causes looking for workers. Where does this money come from to support these entities paying suprisingly strong wages? I know the new hires are supposed to go out and raise money directly, but based on what these people are paid, I would venture to say that I doesn’t pay for itself other than getting the word out, especially during elections.

3. Whataboutism and you probably get surprised a lot.

Russia, under severe sanctions since they annexed Crimea is equivalent to.... I don't think so.

You can break a law whenever you want, speeding etc. getting caught is the thing. The NRA may have got caught.

4. But are they really “caught”? Accusing someone is easy to do. The standard that appears to be used for accusing someone is “Is it remotely possible or plausable”?

The damage of merely accusing someone is leveraged through the power of the media. There are little to no penalties for a wrongful accusation. It is a political freeroll and a distraction from focused problem solving.

5. "May have" is called a qualifier.

Look just stop messing up the thread. You are too low bar to be worth talking to. It would be better if nobody added anything than that level of drivel from you.

I only posted it for people to see, those who care about America.

6. [​IMG]

7. The end? Of free speech, perhaps? Why are you posting this stuff, with its qualifier and all?

You want your posting(s) to go uncontested? Is this because it could make some of your lesser posts look bad?

If you really care about America, keep your conduct at a high level, encourage others to provide feedback, and stop starting half-baked, dissention causing threads.

Or in Soviet style, use the ignore feature.

Comrade? Are you still there?

8. A reported event is not something to contest unless you have evidence it is 'fake news'.

Off to bed.