Feature request: Ignoring 1 star threads

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Tsing Tao, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

i know this has been requested before and discussed. what was the verdict on whether or not we could add some feature to allow low rated threads to not show up on our screen?

yes, i know. the overall answer is "dont click on them". but in some forums, there are quite a few of them and they clutter the landscape.

thanks in advance.

2. We all know that 1-star threads are those not approved by Right Wingsters, since they are the only people who rate threads anyway. So you only want to read threads started by like-minded "thinkers?" Nothing quite like a cloister fuck, eh?

3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

actually, the example i had in mind was all of bearice's threads that show up in the economics, etc. forums. but there are others as well, now that you bring them up.

i realize that you have no real existence outside of the political forum, but some of us do.

4. Pekelo

Pekelo

Tao, you do realize that the star system is pretty much worthless? Unless the stars showed up only after a certain amount of votes (let's say 10), it is very subjective because people vote mostly based on how they like the OP, and not on content.

You would be missing out on valuable threads, just because the first few voters disliked the OP. If you put the OP on Ignore, the whole thread disappears, if you didn't know that....

5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

that's actually an interesting point. perhaps the adjustment should first be to how many votes it takes to rank a thread, and then implement the change on ignoring threads.

as for putting the op on ignore, that is certainly an option. but there are a few of them out there. and with idiots like that c-kid, they pop up rather frequently.

6. Lucrum

Lucrum

I've noticed almost everyone who has their threads consistently rated one star claims this.
    There is already a minimum, three
    Duh
    Yet another claim made almost exclusively by the one star posters.

If it is in fact "worthless" why hasn't Baron ended the rating system?

7. In one of the threads that I was watching (and was refreshing every second or so), the number of views was around 14 viewers throughout that time with no ranking. Out of a sudden, the number of viewers jumped to 30 in two seconds with all of the NEW viewers giving it one star. :D

You are right Gabfly1, I know that the thread I am about to read is a good one based on the ranking. The lower the ranking, the more progressive it is.

To me, in ET, the ranking is my way of sorting out the right wing garbage from common sense. The higher the ranking, the more racist and hateful the thread is.

I am talking about P&R of course.

8. The majority of your posts are in P&R. Since you made no distinction regarding forums in your opening post, I went with the numbers.

9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

well, we all know what they say about assuming. while the majority of my posts may be in P+R (not sure about that - have you done the analysis?), the majority of the posts i read are in the forums consistent with the spirit of the site. it is in those forums where getting the clutter out would be nice. besides, what care you for whether i remove threads from my screen or not?

regardless, this thread has turned into yet another ground for the hatfields and mccoys, so forget it.

10. Pekelo

Pekelo

So? Takes about 3 secs, if you are a slow clicker...

#10     Apr 12, 2011